McNeill Hall, Room 3101
601 South College Road
Wilmington, NC 28403-5979
Phone: (910) 962-3872
Fax: (910) 962-7283
INQUIRIES FOR MSW Program:
MSW Admissions Overview & Requirements
The UNCW MSW degree program requires 62 hours of course work beyond the bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university. The full time program takes two years to complete, while the part time program takes three years, including summers, to complete. Admission is competitive; each program admits approximately 25 students each year. No credit is given for life experience.
North Carolina and all other states provide for the licensing and/or certification of masters level social workers. The N.C. Social Work Certification and Licensure Board was established by the North Carolina Legislature to provide a standard of practice for the social work profession. Graduates of the UNCW MSW Program qualify for State Licensure/Certification at three levels: Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Certified Master Social Worker and Certified Social Work Manager. In all of these cases, graduates must pass a state exam. The LCSW requires, in addition, evidence of two years of post-master’s clinical practice with LCSW supervision.
* ATTENTION MSW APPLICANTS: If you submitted your application by February 1st, you will hear back from us by April 1st.
MSW Program Admissions Requirements
- Graduation with a Bachelors degree from an accredited college or university (or equivalent for non-U.S. students)
- 3.0 undergraduate GPA (on 4.0 point scale)
- A liberal arts base of undergraduate study which includes courses in human biology or human development, basic statistics, introduction to psychology and introduction to sociology.
- Fiftieth percentile or higher on scaled verbal, quantitative and analytical writing components of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE)
- Acceptance to UNCW Graduate School
- No credit given for life experience
Students seeking admission should submit to the Graduate School:
- A UNCW Graduate School Admission Application
- Official transcripts from each institution attended should be sent directly to the Graduate School.
- Three academic or professional letters of recommendation
- Resume detailing work experience; to include any human services experience, whether through employment, volunteerism, or internship.
- GRE Scores
- Narrative Questions for MSW Application (PDF)