Emphasis in Philosophy
Philosophy considers such questions as the nature of existence, the scope of knowledge, the rules of rationality, the essence of morality, and meaning of beauty.
Requirements for B.A. Degree with a Major in Philosophy & Religion with an emphasis in Philosophy: 36 hours.
- PAR 101: Invitation to Philosophical Thinking
- PAR 103: Introduction to Religion
- PAR 110: Introduction to Logic
- PAR 115: Introduction to Ethics
- PAR 201: History of Western Philosophy I
- PAR 202: History of Western Philosophy II
- PAR 400: Colloquium for Majors
- and 15 additional hours at 300-400 level, 9 of which must be in philosophy.
An overall grade point average of "C" (2.00) or better is required in courses counted toward the major. In accordance with UNCW residency requirement, at least 15 hours at the 300-400 level must be taken at UNCW.
Computer Competency Requirement: To satisfy the computer competency requirement for the B.A. degree in philosophy and religion a student must successfully complete PAR 400.
Oral Communication Competency Requirement: To satisfy the oral communication competency requirement for the B.A. degree in philosophy and religion a student must successfully complete PAR 400.
Applied Learning Requirement: To satisfy the applied learning requirement for the B.A. degree in philosophy and religion a student must turn in to the department chair, before graduation, an independent research project completed in PAR 400, 491, 495 or 499.