University Planning and Quality Council
February 8 , 2011
Members Present: Chancellor Rosemary DePaolo, Dr. Cathy Barlow, Mr. Charlie Maimone, Ms. Pat Leonard, Dr. David Cordle, Dr. Karen Wetherill, Ms. Sissy Hendricks, Ms. JoAnn McDowell, Dr. Nelson Reid, Dr. Rob Burrus, Dr. Bruce McKinney, Dr. Johnson Akinleye, Dr. Tom Barth, Dr. Steve McFarland, Dr. Debra Saunders-White, Dr. Michael Walker, Mr. Sammy Pisano, Mr. Max Allen, and Mr. Mark Lanier.
Others Attending: Dr. Brian Victor, Ms. Dana Harris, Dr. Ricky Whitfield, Dr. Jose Hernandez, Ms. Cindy Lawson, Ms. Sharon Boyd, Mr. Jonathan Graves, Ms. Andrea Schwandt-Arbogast, Ms. Lisa Castellino, Mr. Mark Hurt, and Dr. Nathan Lindsay.
Chancellor DePaolo called the meeting to order at 2:00 P.M.
The minutes of the January 11, 2011 meeting were approved as posted on the web.
The Council discussed, critiqued, and reviewed a proposed Vision 2020 graphic/visual. Extensive discussion surrounded the basic objectives of the graphic/visual:
- Clear connection to Soaring to Greatness
- Demonstrates linkages to UNC Tomorrow, QEP, SACS, and UNCW mission
- Demonstrates linkages to progress measures
Mr. Graves and Mr. Hurt demonstrated several concept graphics, focusing on internal and external assessment measures.
Dr. McFarland discussed the use of a magnifying glass as a unifying tool for the graphic/visual. Mr. Maimone suggested using the glass to focus on the future, 2020, rather than on the details of past planning.
By consensus, the Council agreed to rename Vision 2020/Soaring to Greatness 2020 to"Our Vision for 2020" to prevent it from being identified as another strategic plan and to give it a distinct character.
Ms. Lisa Castellino presended an update on the UNCW progress measures for Spring 2011, including:
- Reducing disparities in retention and graduation rates between majority and minority student populations (Progress Measure 3)
- Increase the freshman to sophomore retention rate, four-year graduation rate, and six-year graduation rate (Progress Measure 4)
- Progression rates (Progress Measure 4)
- Increase international student population (Progress Measure 8)
- Increase alumni giving rate (Progress Measure 10)
Progress measure report is available here.
The meeting adjourned at 3:30 P.M.
Future Meetings (At 2:00-3:30 pm in AL 215):
|Tuesday||March 8, 2011|
|Tuesday||April 12, 2011|
|Tuesday||May 10, 2011|
Last updated: 06/06/2011 18:47:35