Pre-Professional Programs is located in DePaolo Hall, room 1003. Call us at (910) 962-3245 or contact a pre-professional advisor.
Pre-Professional students are invited to create a website that will serve as a repository for experiences that will contribute to their professional school applications. First-year students are encouraged to begin this portfolio and update it periodically throughout their undergraduate career. As applicants, this website can be distributed to professors or advisors writing letters of recommendation, added to a resume or serve as a repository for the information requested on professional school applications. Follow the directions below for information on how to start your pre-law or pre-health portfolio.
Building your Portfolio
- Create a Google account with a professional username/email by selecting "Sign in" at the upper right-hand corner. On the next page, select "Sign up."
- At the top of the website, select the apps icon, select "More" then "Even More" from the drop-down menu so that it brings you to the Google Products site.
- Scroll to the Home & Office section and select "Sites" to begin creating your Portfolio.
- Click the "Create" button.
- Choose "Browse the Gallery for More" and search for the "UNCW Pre-Health Portfolio" template or "UNCW Pre-Law Portfolio" template.
- Select the appropriate site template by clicking the "Select" button on the bottom left-hand corner of the page.
- Continue by naming your site. Site names should be professional and include your name and "Portfolio."
- Type the code in and click "Create." Welcome to your Portfolio website!
Editing your Portfolio
- Utilize the information provided on each page of the template as a guide on what to include on the webpage.
- To edit each page with your personalized information, select the pencil image above "Search this site" to begin editing the page contents. Remember to save as you edit.
- For pages that reference files you can upload, select the "Add files" link at the bottom of each page while in edit mode.
- To change the design, but retain the template text, select the "More" button at the top of the page above "Search this site." Choose "Manage Site" and select "Colors and Fonts" from the list. You can change the base theme to utilize a color scheme and design that fits your personality.
Security Settings for your Portfolio
Consider the private information that you are including on your Portfolio website. Our hope is that you make this site available to individuals you would like to assist you in your application process. We do not expect for you to make this website public. To limit the access to this private information, please follow the directions below:
- Select the "Share" button highlighted in bloom at the top of the page.
- Review sharing and permissions under "Who has access." If the list includes "Public on the web," select "Change..." and select "Anyone with the link" or "Private." Choose the permissions that best fit where you are in the process.
Note: "Anyone with the link" permissions allow you to distribute the link to anyone who would like to view your Portfolio. Signing-in is not required. "Private" permissions only gives specific individuals' permission to access the information and signing-in is required.