- Spring 2014 RFP Form(PDF)
- Archive of Articles, Forms, and Events
- Events Calendar
- Applied Learning Resources
- Site Map
If you'd like to add your input to the Quality Enhancement Plan, or if you have any questions, please contact Dr. Jess Boersma (email@example.com)
Resources for Applied Learning
If you are interested in exploring ways to enhance your applied learning experiences, and/or participating in ETEAL sponsored activities, this list of resources is available to assist you.
Applied Learning and Teaching Community Resources
- Applied Learning at UNCW
- Applied Learning in the College of Arts and Sciences
- High Impact Teaching: http://uncw.edu/cte/HighImpactTeaching/index.html
- Applied Learning and Teaching Idea Bank: http://www.uncw.edu/cte/resources/ideabank.html
- Good practices from the National Society for Experiential Education: http://www.nsee.org/standards-and-practice
- Good practices for Critical Reflection to enhance student learning: http://www.curricularengagement.com (hard copies of the workbook are available for loan from Jess Boersma).
- AACU Report 2007: How Should Colleges Prepare Students To Succeed In Today's Global Economy? (PDF)
- Smith, K.: "Empowering School- and University-Based Teacher Educators as Assessors: A school – university cooperation." Educational Research and Evaluation. Vol. 13, No. 3, June 2007.
- Kardash, C.M..: "Evaluation of an Undergraduate Research
Perceptions of Undergraduate Interns and Their Faculty Mentors." Journal of Educational Psychology. Vol. 92, No. 1, 2000.
- University of Maryland Baltimore County: "Applied Learning as a Best Practice Model: A Strategy for Higher Education Student Success." (PDF)
- AACU Peer Review Article (O'Neill, N. 2010): "Internships as a High-Impact Practice: Some Reflections on Quality."
- AACU Peer Review Article (Gavigan, L. 2010): "Connecting the Classroom with Real-World Experiences through Summer Internships."
- California Department of Education, 1995: Superintendent's Challenge Initiative: "Applied Learning Standards: Draft Interim Content and Performance Standards. (PDF)
- Lumina Foundation: "The Degree Qualifications Profile." (PDF)
- AAUP: "Five High-Impact Practices: Research on Learning Outcomes, Completion, and Quality."
- AAC&U Report on Greater Expectations, 2002.
- Journal of Applied Learning in Higher Education
List of Active/Applied Learning QEPs
- For a good example of Student Learning Outcomes, see Rice University's Quality Enhancement Plan: "Intellectual Development of Rice Undergraduates in Urban Houston."
- Landers University: “EYE: Experience Your Education.”
- University of Texas at Arlington: “Active Learning: Pathways to Higher Order Thinking UT Arlington.” (PDF)
- Tarleton State University: “Keeping it REAL: Real-World Experiences Applied to Learning.” (PDF)
- Randolph-Macon College: “Experiential Learning – study abroad, research, internships.” (PDF)
- University of Richmond: “Sophomore Scholars in Residence – integrate active learning into curriculum.” (PDF)
- University of Texas: “Signature Courses – First-Year-Courses with 'real world transferability'.” (PDF)
Resources at UNCW
While focusing on student learning goals in the academic sense, the QEP should somehow include all campus divisions, departments, units, offices, programs, resources, among others, so that the entire campus community is involved in the QEP’s mission. While it’s not necessary to explain how each and every of the following groups are involved, including some or all of them in a creative way will strengthen your pre-proposal (as well as the final QEP). This list is not comprehensive, but should provide a good overview of the many facets of the campus community that will be, in the end, involved in the final QEP implementation process.
- UNCW's "Applied Learning in the College of Arts & Sciences: Report of the 2008-2009 Academic Year." (PDF)
- University Mission Statement: http://www.uncw.edu/aboutuncw/
- University Studies Curriculum: http://uncw.edu/universitystudies/
- University Learning Goals: http://uncw.edu/assessment/goals.html
- UNCW Honors Scholars Program: http://uncw.edu/honors/
- University College: http://www.uncw.edu/uc/
- List of Graduate School Programs at UNCW: http://uncw.edu/gradschool/
- List of Undergraduate majors: http://uncw.edu/uc/advising/degrees.html
- Student Affairs: http://www.uncw.edu/stuaff
- UNCW Career Center: http://www.uncw.edu/career/
- Office of International Programs: http://www.uncw.edu/international/
- Office of Diversity and Inclusion: http://uncw.edu/diversity/index.html
- Randall Library: http://library.uncw.edu/
- Housing and Residential Life: http://www.uncw.edu/stuaff/housing/index.html
- Fraternity and Sorority Life: http://www.uncw.edu/fratlife/index.html
- Leadership Education and Service: http://uncw.edu/cles/
- Information Technology Systems: http://uncw.edu/itsd/
- University Learning Center: http://www.uncw.edu/ulc/index.htm
- Center for Support of Undergraduate Research and Fellowships (CSURF): http://uncw.edu/csurf/
- Campus Activities and Involvement Center: http://uncw.edu/activities/
- Campus Life Arts & Programs: http://www.uncw.edu/presents/index.htm