- Spring 2015 ETEAL RFP (PDF)
- ETEAL Proposal Writing Guide
- Archive of Articles, Forms, and Events
- Events Calendar
- Applied Learning Resources
- Site Map
If you'd like to add your input to the Quality Enhancement Plan, or if you have any questions, please contact Dr. Jess Boersma (email@example.com)
Applied Learning Resources
Are you new to Applied Learning or to UNCW? Looking for ideas on how to implement Applied Learning into your courses? Confused about what Applied Learning means for you? Looking to take part in an Applied Learning Experience? Just check out our Applied Learning Resources to find the answers you're looking for!
Applied Learning Resources For...
- Faculty, Staff, and Graduate Assistants
- Undergraduate and Graduate Students
- Prospective Students and Parents
- ETEAL Logo downloads
- Additional Resources
Applied Learning at UNCW
- Applied Learning at UNCW
- Applied Learning in the College of Arts and Sciences
- UNCW's "Applied Learning in the College of Arts & Sciences: Report of the 2008-2009 Academic Year." (PDF)
Ideas, best practices, and Applied Learning guides
- A guide to High Impact Teaching
- Applied Learning and Teaching Idea Bank
- Eight Principles of Good Practice for all Experiential Learning Activities (PDF)
- Good practices from the National Society for Experiential Education
- Good practices for Critical Reflection to enhance student learning
(hard copies of the workbook are available for loan from Jess Boersma).
- University of Maryland Baltimore County: "Applied Learning as a Best Practice Model: A Strategy for Higher Education Student Success." (PDF)
ETEAL Proposal Forms and Assistance
- Research Funding Proposal for Spring 2015 and Beyond (PDF)
- ETEAL RFP Prezi
- ETEAL RFP Proposal scoring rubric (PDF)
ETEAL/ALTC Applied Learning Workshop Resources
- Summer Institute 2014
Day 1 Table Topic Discussion Notes (PDF)
Mid-Course Corrections in Applied Learning (PDF)
Best Practices in Building Intention into Applied Learning (PDF)
Getting started on a Scholarship of Teaching and Learning Project (PDF)
- Fall 2014 TA/GA Institute Series
GA Institute I: Breakout Session Notes (PDF)
- The Flipped Classroom
What is a Flipped Classroom? (PDF)
The Flipped Classroom Workshop Presentation (PDF)
My Face - Mask Making Activity (PDF)
COM 200 Group Skills and Project Management CBT Module (PDF)
Group Reflection Report (PDF)
Web Resources for Flipping the Classroom:
Casting Out Nines - Flipped and Inverted Class Resources
Robert Talbert's Flipped Classroom Resources
Turning Point Technologies
- ETEAL Assessment Requirements (PDF)
- ETEAL Assessment Guide Poster (PDF)
- Frameworks for and Examples of Critical Reflection Prompts (PDF)
- Example Prompts for Instructor Critical Reflection (PDF)
- See more on our Assessment Resources Page
What is Applied Learning? What does it mean for me?
How can I get involved in Applied Learning?
- UNCW Honors Scholars Program
- Office of International Programs
- Center for Support of Undergraduate Research and Fellowships (CSURF)
- AACU Report 2007: How Should Colleges Prepare Students To Succeed In Today's Global Economy? (PDF)
|Logo Image||Downloadable Formats|
The Official ETEAL Logo
ETEAL Wave CPU Background
Active/Applied Learning QEPs at other Institutions
- For a good example of Student Learning Outcomes, see Rice University's Quality Enhancement Plan: "Intellectual Development of Rice Undergraduates in Urban Houston."
- Landers University: “EYE: Experience Your Education.”
- University of Texas at Arlington: “Active Learning: Pathways to Higher Order Thinking UT Arlington.” (PDF)
- Tarleton State University: “Keeping it REAL: Real-World Experiences Applied to Learning.” (PDF)
- Randolph-Macon College: “Experiential Learning – study abroad, research, internships.” (PDF)
- University of Richmond: “Sophomore Scholars in Residence – integrate active learning into curriculum.” (PDF)
- University of Texas: “Signature Courses – First-Year-Courses with 'real world transferability'.” (PDF)
- The Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, Commission on Colleges (UNCW’s accrediting body)
- The QEP Handbook (official SACS publication)
- Principles of Accreditation (official SACS publication)
- Smith, K.: "Empowering School- and University-Based Teacher Educators as Assessors: A school – university cooperation." Educational Research and Evaluation. Vol. 13, No. 3, June 2007.
- Kardash, C.M..: "Evaluation of an Undergraduate Research
Perceptions of Undergraduate Interns and Their Faculty Mentors." Journal of Educational Psychology. Vol. 92, No. 1, 2000.
- AACU Peer Review Article (O'Neill, N. 2010): "Internships as a High-Impact Practice: Some Reflections on Quality."
- AACU Peer Review Article (Gavigan, L. 2010): "Connecting the Classroom with Real-World Experiences through Summer Internships."
- California Department of Education, 1995: Superintendent's Challenge Initiative: "Applied Learning Standards: Draft Interim Content and Performance Standards. (PDF)
- Lumina Foundation: "The Degree Qualifications Profile." (PDF)
- AAUP: "Five High-Impact Practices: Research on Learning Outcomes, Completion, and Quality."
- AAC&U Report on Greater Expectations, 2002.
- Journal of Applied Learning in Higher Education