Residency Reclassification
for Undergraduate Students

NC Veteran’s Choice Act Update

On June 23, 2015, Senate Bill 478 was enacted thereby creating North Carolina General Statute § 116-143.3A and bringing North Carolina law into compliance with Section 702 of the Choice Act.

UNCW is awaiting direction from the UNC General Administration on the implementation of this statute. The Office of the Registrar expects to have additional details on eligibility criteria and the application process in early August.

Please check this page for updates or be in contact with Freeman Whitney by email (

Fall 2015: Residency reclassification applications for Fall 2015 are being accepted and must be submitted by Wednesday, August 19, 2015 at 5:00 p.m.

All semesters: Residency reclassification applications for continuing undergraduate students and new undergraduate students who are registered for classes are submitted to the Office of the Registrar in James Hall 110.

Expected processing time for an application is three weeks. You will be notified of your decision by email to your UNCW email account.

Should you be approved for in-state standing, Student Accounts and Financial Aid will be notified of your change in status.

If you submit your reclassification application within three weeks of the add/drop deadline for the semester under appeal, your determination may still be pending on the last day to drop courses for that semester. By staying enrolled in classes beyond the add/drop deadline, you are assuming responsibility for charges at the out-of-state rate. Receiving an out-of-state decision after the add/drop deadline is not grounds to have your courses retroactively dropped for the term that was under appeal.

Each student admitted into UNCW is initially classified as either a resident or nonresident for tuition purposes by the appropriate admitting office. If an undergraduate student chooses to petition a reclassification of his or her residence status, application must be made to the Office of the Registrar. Students who wish to file a petition for reclassification should first familiarize themselves with the statutory provisions and then submit a completed Application for Classification as a Legal Resident (along with any required additional documentation) to the Office of the Registrar before the start of the term for which they wish to be considered.

Please note: students in the Graduate School requesting residency reclassification review will apply through the Graduate School, not through the Office of the Registrar.
Please refer to:
for details on that process.

The application and all supporting documents are due on the first day of classes, as listed in the academic calendar, for the term in which residency reclassification is sought.

The following documentation does not guarantee a residency change, but may strengthen your appeal for in-state residency. If you choose to submit any or all of the following, please attach copies of these documents to the "Application for Classification as a Legal Resident (Domiciliary) of North Carolina for Tuition Purposes."

  1. Documents of residence for the past 12 months (i.e., lease/notarized statement from landlord).
  2. Copy of Federal and State tax returns for the previous year. Include copy of parent's tax return if you are under the age of 24.
  3. Year-to-date cumulative wage earnings statements from all jobs held for the current year and/or for the past 12 months.
  4. Evidence of your being a registered voter (in North Carolina).
  5. Evidence of motor vehicle ownership(s) - registration card.
  6. Copy of North Carolina Driver's License.
  7. Evidence of employment and/or means of financial support (i.e., student loans, scholarships, etc.)
  8. Evidence that you filed personal property or real property returns.
  9. Evidence of membership in community professional associations, unions, church, or other organizations.
  10. If you are a minor, your parents or legal guardian(s) must produce evidence of their domicile (legal place of residence).
  11. Copy of court-appointed guardianship.
  12. A copy of your parent's tax returns for the previous year if you are under the age of 24.

For more detailed information on residency and the process of applying for a reclassification, please follow the appropriate links below.

Frequently Asked Questions

North Carolina State Residence Classification Manual

Application for Classification as a Legal Resident (Domiciliary) of North Carolina for Tuition Purposes


Residence-and-Tuition Application Supplement for Non-U.S. Citizens PDFPDF
Application for Determination of Eligibility for the Military Tuition Benefit PDFPDF

UNC Wilmington | 601 S. College Road, Wilmington NC 28403 | 910.962.3000 | About this Site | Copyright Notice | Feedback | Page maintained by:  Office of the Registrar [ registrar AT uncw DOT edu ]