Name, Address & Telephone Changes

Name Changes

Current and former students need to bring the documents listed below to the Office of the Registrar (James Hall) and complete the Change of Name Form

PDF Change of Name (PDF)
Word Change of Name (MS Word)

Documents Needed:
driver's license, or
social security card, or
divorce decree, or
voter registration card, or
passport, or
other legal documentation verifying the name change
and photo ID (required)

Extension Students: Contact Assistant Director of Financial Aid/Admissions, Onslow Extension Campus at 910.346.8246

Graduate Student Employees need to bring the documents listed below to the Graduate School (2nd Floor, James Hall)

Current or Former, Temporary or Permanent Staff & Faculty need to bring the documents listed below to Human Resources (Friday Annex, Rm 178)

Preferred First Name

Beginning in January 2015, any student at the University of North Carolina Wilmington can indicate their preferred first name to the university community regardless of whether or not they have legally changed their name.

Choosing a preferred first name in our student information system will soon change which name appears in many internal locations such as the online campus directory, SeaNet, mySeaport, email alias, grade reports, class rosters, advisee lists, etc.

Places Where Preferred First Name is Used:

  • Online Campus Directory
  • Email Display Name (OWA/Outlook)
  • Diploma
  • SeaNet Header
  • mySeaport
  • Class Rosters
  • Class Photos
  • Advisee Rosters
  • Advisee Photos
  • Grade Reports
  • Blackboard Learn
  • Degree Audit

Future Preferred First Name Use Planned:

  • Unofficial Transcripts
  • UNCW OneCard
  • Housing Room Assignments
  • Reports
  • Auxiliary Services
  • & many other ancillary systems

Places Where Legal First Name is Used:

  • Student Accounts
  • Financial Aid
  • Responses to enrollment inquiries, such as verification requests (unless you have chosen FERPA exclusion)
  • Official Transcripts
  • Payroll

Please note:  Preferred first name is used solely for UNCW’s internal systems; external systems will continue to use your legal first name.

How to Indicate Your Preferred First Name?

To indicate your preferred first name, login to SeaNet, by selecting Secure Login for Faculty, Staff and Students.  At the main menu, select Personal Information, then Enter Preferred Name.  Please remember to hit Submit to ensure that your preferred first name has been saved. 

For questions or if you would like to see a particular internal application recognize your new preferred first name, please contact the Office of the Registrar.

Address & Telephone Changes

Permanent address/telephone
This may be updated by way of the Student Information Access on SeaNet.

Off-Campus address/telephone
This may be updated by way of the Student Information Access on SeaNet.

UNC Wilmington | 601 S. College Road, Wilmington NC 28403 | 910.962.3000 | About this Site | Copyright Notice | Feedback | Page maintained by:  Office of the Registrar [ registrar AT uncw DOT edu ]