CLASS OF 2012
AREA PROGRAM ON AGING DIRECTOR
- I graduated in May of 2012 after enrolling at UNCW in August 2010.
- I currently serve as Area Program on Aging Director for Kerr-Tar Regional Council of Governments in Henderson, NC.
- I loved my time at UNCW and I am able to look back at my time at UNCW as one of the best times in my life. It has provided me the tools to be successful and the ability to follow my dreams. Through the Master’s Program in Gerontology, I was able to focus on my passion for serving the aging community. It has given me the confidence to be an advocate for the needs of our aging society and it helped me find my voice as I am particularly focused on being an activist for our aging veterans and their family’s needs.
- My greatest professional accomplishment to date is becoming the Area Program on Aging Director for Kerr- Tar Regional Council of Governments, In this role I am privileged to serve the aging community of five counties in North Carolina. I am also proud of the fact that along with Dr. Eleanor Krassen Covan and Ryan Guyder we published an article entitled “The Marital Journey Home: Narratives from Vietnam Veterans and Spouses on the Impact of Combat” in International Journal of Humanities and Social Science, 01(16). I was honored with the distinction of Spring 2012 School of Health and Applied Human Sciences Outstanding Graduate Student. I also am an adjunct professor at Winston Salem State University where I can continue my passion for teaching Gerontology.
- I was extremely fortunate to have incredible professors while in SHAHS. I was however honored to have Dr. Eleanor Krassen Covan not only as a professor but she has become and is what I consider to be a lifelong friend and mentor. To this day she is one of my greatest champions and supporters.
- My hope for UNCW SHAHS is to expand our Gerontology program and for awareness of this wonderful program to grow. As our population ages it is imperative that we have a workforce that is trained and knowledgeable regarding the needs of this every growing section of society.