PED 101 Waiver/Substitution Guidelines
School of Health & Applied Human Sciences
PED 101 Physical Activity & Wellness
University Studies Requirement
The student must provide the course description and/or syllabus in addition to written documentation of completion of one or multiple courses that contain the following TWO (2) components of PED 101:
- health/wellness cognitive content (wellness dimensions, physical activity program planning, disease risk reduction, stress management, nutrition, healthy communication, etc.)
- physical activity (participation in physical activities equivalent in frequency, intensity, time, and type that contribute to national physical activity and health guidelines; cardiovascular, resistance, flexibility activities).
Military Service - Upon verification
of Basic or Recruit Training, UNCW can waive the student’s physical education
requirement of PED 101. If the student chooses to provide the DD-214 Discharge Document, and
was in good standing at the time of separation, UNCW can also waive the physical
education requirement with this document. Submit documentation
of military service to the office of the School of Health
& Applied Human Sciences located in Trask Coliseum 156 (Phone:
Activity Courses from Other Institutions - Credits from activity courses from other institutions do not waive the PED 101 requirement (unless they have the cognitive component as described above).
Physical Limitations - If you have limitations regarding physical activity participation (as specified by your physician), written documentation from your physician is required indicating the type and amount of activity in which you are allowed to participate. This information is shared with the lab instructor, and appropriate modifications are made. If absolutely no physical activity is allowed, the student may substitute HEA 105 for PED 101 (see the Substitution Guidelines below).
Students 55 years or older - If you are 55 years of age or older, PED 101 can be waived. You must email the PED 101 Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org) in order for the waiver form can be completed and processed.
A student with a physical disability/limitation that makes participation in any physical activity inadvisable (documented by a physician) may take HEA 105 (Individual Well-Being) to fulfill the PED 101 university studies requirement. Follow the approval process outlined below.
Waiver/Substitution Approval Process:
1. Student provides necessary
documentation for the PED 101 Coordinator’s evaluation in one of the following
- Email attachments to email@example.com
- Fax to the attention of the PED 101 Coordinator: Fax#: 910.962.7073
- Hand deliver to the PED 101 Coordinator's mailbox: Trask 156 - School of HAHS Office
2. PED 101 Coordinator contacts the
student and completes the waiver/substitution form if approved.
3. Substitution/Waiver Form is signed by the SHAHS Associate Director (copy retained for SHAHS files).
4. Signed form is forwarded to the Registrar’s office by SHAHS personnel.
5. The student's audit will show the waiver/substitution when the form has been processed by the Registrar.