The Office of Research Services and Sponsored Programs in the School of Nursing was created to support the overall development, facilitation, and coordination of activities to promote research, community partnerships, and the systematic evaluation of the School of Nursing. The associate director mentors faculty and promotes a creative environment for scholarship and research; provides leadership for grants development, management, and evaluation; and promotes scholarship activities and research consistent with the SON mission and strategic plan. Since 2007, we have expanded support services to enhance faculty research, scholarship, and grants productivity by:
- Hiring additional graduate research assistants and a statistician/methodologist
- Increasing funding for pilot studies through the J. Richard Corbett Trust Funds
- Supporting faculty travel to present research at national conferences
- Delivering yearly workshops on publications, grants, and budgets
- Consultations with seasoned researchers at local, state, and national levels
- Mentoring faculty in writing and publishing research findings
- Tracking research awards, contracts, and scholarly publications
- Collaborations with UNCW and other organizations (e.g. Sigma Theta Tau Nursing Society, Nu Omega Chapter) to present annual research conferences
- Sharing program announcements, request for applications, and other information related to research and program grants from federal and non-profit agencies
The School of Nursing 2010-2015 Strategic Plan, Goal 8, includes objectives and strategies to generate external funds through grants, contracts, and donations to promote its teaching, research, clinical practice, and public service mission. Some of these objectives include: (a) increasing the percentage of nursing and clinical research faculty who receive external awards; (b) increasing merit-based, diversity, and unrestricted scholarships and grants for undergraduate and graduate programs. Specific strategies to accomplish the objectives are:
- Promote research with interdisciplinary and inter-professional teams in the new College of Health and Human Services, UNC system universities, as well as in other regions of nation.
- Strengthen faculty mentoring related to grant writing and publications.
- Create web resources and tutorials on grant writing and grants management.
- Collaborate with UNCW Office of Research Services in proposal development.
- Consult with UNCW Advancement Services to find private donors to support innovations in research, teaching, student services, and faculty practice.
Links to other sites:
- Faculty Research Interests
- External Grants Awarded
- Internal Grants Awarded
- J. Richard Corbett Charitable Trust Account
- Research Resources and Links
- UNCW Office of Research Services
Faculty and Staff, Office of Research and Sponsored Program Staff
- Dr. Janie Canty-Mitchell, PhD, RN, Professor and Associate Director, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Deborah Strothers, Administrative Associate, Phone: 910-962-3200, Email: email@example.com
- Dr. Rema Menon, PhD, Statistician/Research Methodologist, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Graduate Research Assistants
- Ashley Aiken, BS
- Rachel Goers, BS
- Jennifer Heaton, BS
- Erin Lavender-Stott, BS – Quality Enhancement Plan Project
- Louisa Leopard, BS
If interested in supporting faculty research and scholarship, innovations in faculty practice or teaching, or student scholarships and travel abroad, please go to: http://www.uncw.edu/campaign/.