9.30 - Temporary Storage
Responsible Office(s): Warehouse Services Effective: July 1, 1992
Sets forth policies and procedures for the storage of departmental items in Central Receiving Warehouse facilities on a temporary basis.
Applies to all university departments and activities.
1. Items to be Placed in Temporary
The Central Receiving Warehouse provides temporary storage to university departments if space is available. There is no charge to university departments for storage. Stored items must either be owned by the university or be on official loan to the university.
2. Request and Approval for
The Warehouse Temporary Storage Request form must be submitted to the Warehouse Services Supervisor to receive approval for temporary storage. Final approval of the request will be based on factors including, but not limited to, the following:
- Space available
- Length of time the item(s) shall be stored
- Possible safety hazards of storing the item(s)
- Warehouse ability to meet special storage requirements of the item(s)
- Warehouse ability to move or handle the item(s) once stored.
3. Pickup of Item(s).
The Warehouse Services Supervisor shall arrange for the item(s) to be picked up when space is available.
4. Time Limits for Storage.
Temporary storage is generally provided for a maximum period of 90 days. Requests for storage of an item for longer than the 90-day period must be accompanied by a memo signed by the department head, justifying the request. Likewise, extensions for items already in temporary storage are to be requested via a memo to the Warehouse Services Supervisor, justifying the extension and signed by the department head.
All correspondence to Warehouse Services relating to item(s) currently in temporary storage should reference the item(s) being stored and the university department for which the item(s) are being stored.
1. Requests for Temporary
The department requesting temporary storage must prepare and forward a Warehouse Temporary Storage Request form in accordance with the preparation instructions in this procedure.
NOTE: If temporary storage is requested for a time period in excess of 90 days, a memo of justification, signed by the department head, must be attached to the Temporary Storage Request.
2. Rejected Requests.
All rejected requests for temporary storage will be returned to the originating department.
3. Accepted Requests.
The Warehouse Services Supervisor will arrange pickup of item(s) to be placed in temporary storage.
4. Return of Stored Item(s)
The department should telephone the Warehouse Services Supervisor at 910-962-3181 to request that stored item(s) be released from temporary storage and returned to the department.
Preparation Instructions Form AUX 9.30 Effective: July 1, 1992
Name of Form: Temporary Storage Request
A. Purpose of Form.
This form is used to request temporary warehouse storage of university items.
B. Where to Obtain Forms.
Blank forms may be obtained from the U-Business Web site.
C. Where to Submit Completed Forms.
The Temporary Storage Request form is a four-part form consisting of an original (white) and three copies (yellow, pink, and goldenrod). Upon completion of Section I, the department should send the original and yellow copy of the form to the Warehouse Services Supervisor. The pink copy should be affixed to the item being stored. If feasible, photocopies of the form may be attached to remaining items to ensure that all stored items are traceable back to the originating department. The goldenrod copy of the form is retained by the department.
Section I is to be completed by the university department requesting temporary storage.
1. Department. Indicate the university department requesting temporary storage of item(s).
2. Location. Current location (building and room number) of item(s) to be stored.
3. Date. The date the request is being made.
4. Contact Person. Name of person in department to contact regarding the temporary storage of item(s).
5. Ext. Indicate the telephone extension of the contact person.
6. Purpose of Storage. Briefly explain why temporary storage is needed.
7. Description of Item(s) to Be Stored. List description of item(s) to be stored and the quantity of each item described.
8. Estimated Time Storage Space is Required. Enter expected length of time storage is required.
9. Temporary Storage Authorization. Signature of department head/director authorizing temporary storage and date approved.
Section II will be completed and the suspense
date will be indicated by the Central Receiving Warehouse staff. When the
item(s) are released from temporary storage and returned to the department,
a department representative will sign to indicate receipt of the item(s).