Graham and Hewlett - Interests
Leadership and Service Learning Community
The Leadership and Service Learning Community is recommended for students who are interested in developing their leadership skills and giving back to the community. This program provides opportunities for personal growth and peer-to-peer connections. No previous leadership experience is required.
The Leadership and Service Learning Community has at its core a mission to inspire emerging leaders through active community service and civic engagement. Students participating in this program will be housed on the Hewlett Hall fourth floor and participate in one of two EDGE Freshmen Seminar courses (3 credit hours). This course is taught in the Graham-Hewlett classroom, the same building where students in the program live. Leadership and Service Learning Community participants cultivate their leadership skills by participating in one of UNCW's premier programs, Leadership UNCW, facilitated by the Center for Leadership Education & Service. Students gain leadership certification and recognition for completion of educational workshops and community service opportunities as part of the Personal Leadership track.
Space is limited to 46 students for this program. Students selected to be participants are guaranteed housing in the most sought after freshmen residence halls on campus, Graham-Hewlett Hall.
How to apply
- Apply and be accepted to UNCW
- Contract with UNCW Office of Housing & Residence Life and pay $105 contract fee
- Log onto Seaport and make Hewlett Hall your preference
- Complete the common application for all First-Year Experience Communities here.
- Guaranteed housing in Graham-Hewlett Hall (Hewlett 4th Floor)
- Earn academic credit (3 hours)
- Introduction to college-level study skills
- Field trips, movies, and social events
- Community Service and volunteer opportunities
- Leadership Certification
- Opportunity for conference travel