Schwartz Hall - Interests
Adventure Recreation and Leadership Living Learning Community
The mission of the Adventure Recreation and Leadership Living Learning Community is to promote a positive, productive, and healthy first semester through the integration of three University Studies courses in conjunction with adventure excursions beyond the classroom such as kayaking, paddle boarding, backpacking, and camping. A cohort of twenty first-semester students will reside in Schwartz Hall and will progress as a collective group through Themes in Literature (ENG 290), Physical Activity and Wellness (PED 101), and First-Year Seminar (UNI 101). This experience will connect the mind, body, and nature through literature, wellness, and excursions with Seahawk Adventures. The instructors of this learning community believe that through the theory and practice of adventure, students can connect the mind and body with the educational experience, further an appreciation and personal connection to the natural world, and become active members of the community.
- Reserved housing in Schwartz Hall located across from the Student Recreation Center and Wagoner Dining Center.
- Organized excursions supervised through Seahawk Adventures
- Opportunity to establish close connections with faculty and students through small class size (20 students) and out-of-class experiences
- Opportunity to seek new adventures and learn or increase knowledge and skill in various activities
- Completion of three University Studies requirements (8 credits) that can be applied to any UNCW major
- Application of classroom learning to outdoor adventure!
If you think the Adventure Recreation and Leadership Learning Community would be a great learning experience for you during your first-semester at UNCW, we encourage you to complete the common application for all First-Year Experience Communities here.
Due to the high demand of the learning communities, we encourage you to apply as soon as possible.
For additional information or if you have any questions please contact the academic component, Rebecca Stultz at email@example.com or the adventure component, Sarah Gilbert at firstname.lastname@example.org.