Starting a New Registered Student Organization
Step by Step Procedure
- Meet with the Assistant Director of Campus Activities & Involvement to learn about the New Registered Student Organization process. At this meeting, you will receive the Intent to Register Form, Constitution Template and helpful tips on writing your own organization constitution.To set up this meeting, please call the Involvement Center at 910-962-3553.
- Once you have written the first draft of your constitution, submit the constitution and the Intent to Register Form electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- A professional staff member will then contact you to schedule a meeting and the organization will be granted provisional status. With provisional status, a student organization has 30 days to reserve meeting space for basic organizational meetings and post flyers for recruitment purposes only. No events or fundraisers may be held during this time.
- Meet with a professional staff member of CAIC to revise and edit the constitution to get it to a final draft version. You may have several in-person or e-meetings with the CAIC staff member to get your constitution ready for a Student Organization Committee (SOC) review. Once a final draft is completed, it will be reviewed by the SOC for a vote.
- The final draft of the constitution will then be read by the SOC. The SOC may vote in the following ways regarding your constitution:
- Approve your constitution
- Approve the constitution with suggestions for minor revisions*
- Deny: Major revisions required
The organization will be notified of the decision within five working days following the SOC meeting.
* The organization will be e-mailed the SOC decision and any suggestions for the final edits of the constitution.
- The final stage of the registration process is to meet with an Involvement Specialist in the CAIC office to learn about the resources and benefits of being a student organization, set up your SeaOrg account, and register your organization!
Note: A new organization has one month to register after being notified of the SOC decision.