Field Education Contacts:
MSW, LCSW, VSP
Field Education Coordinator
910 962 2585
Interim Asst. Field Education Coordinator
910 962 7416
- August 3: Faculty Liaison Meeting, McNeill 1031, 10:30 a.m. - 12:00 p.m.
- August 14: Main Campus BSW & MSW P/T Field Instructor Orientation, McNeill 3084, 9:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- August 17: Onslow Campus BSW & MSW P/T Field Instructor Orientation, BT 101, 9:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
- August 19: First day of classes for the 2015-2016 school year!
- September 4: Main Campus BSW & MSW P/T Learning Contracts, McNeill 1031, 12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- September 7: Labor Day - No class! Field optional.
- September 14: Onslow Campus BSW & MSW P/T Learning Contracts, BT 101, 12:00 p.m. - 1:30 p.m.
- October 12-13: Fall break - No class! Field optional.
- November 4-7: Solution-Focused Brief Therapy National Conference
- November 26-27: Thanksgiving break - No class! Field optional.
- December 2: Last day of classes.
- December 4: MSW F/T Field Instructor Orientation, McNeill 3084, 9:30 a.m. - 11:00 a.m.
About Field Practicum and Field Seminar
Field practicum provides students with opportunities to learn, use, and test social work skills. Placement provides an arena in which the student can test her/himself and her/his commitment to social work attitudes and values, noting both the consistencies and inconsistencies between classroom and agency. In addition, the placement helps the student to increase self-awareness when confronted with situations that challenge her/his attitudes and values.
In order to help bridge the transition from student to worker, there is a weekly integrative, strengths-based seminar that accompanies field placement. Participation in this seminar is a vital component of placement, because it is here that students discuss their field experience. Seminar content is developed around issues which every student experiences and copes with in placement. In addition, there is a series of written and oral assignments. Students should refer to the Field Education Manual for information about course content and criteria for admission into the field practicum courses.
Current Student Resources
Field Instructor Resources
Field Education Newsletter