What have we been doing?
Happy New Year and welcome back to all the Teaching Fellows! Hopefully your long break was relaxing and you have made a good start to a new semester. We closed out a wonderful semester with the December Social! The main course of this annual gathering was a fun-filled talent show featuring many abstract “talents.” Groups represented every class, but the senior girls took home the winning title at the end of the night with their dance routine. The senior girls included: Carrie Williamson, Krystal Goris, Katie Pritchard, Naomi Villanueva, Karla Albertson, Nat Cicero, Abby Exum, Kayla Maddox. We would like to thank all the participants of the talent show and the amazing judges, Mrs. Amy Rottmann, Mr. Ben Brown and Dr. Hank Weddington, for their humor and critique.
The tacky sweater contest also received much attention and participation from the Teaching Fellows. The top sweaters were adorned with jingles, lights, and even a reindeer hidden behind a door. The lucky Teaching Fellows who tied for their impressive tacky sweaters were Nick Corak and Justin Fischetti.
Other winners include the Teaching Fellows who received awards for their participation. Jake Jones was awarded for his outstanding participation in the Social Committee as was Lindsey Jordan in the Outreach Committee, Teddy Walsh and Jennifer Covert for the Travel and Conference Committee, Chris Perez for the Publicity Committee and Jennie Lou Carter for the Fundraising Committee. Overall, the Outstanding Participation Award went to Jordan Rouse, Tara Tillman and Kristi Waltz, who also have the opportunity of going to the Ron Clark Conference in June. Although the most important accomplishment of the night goes to the senior Teaching Fellows who graduated this past fall and those who are now involved in their internships.
December Social ! |
NC Teacher of the Year !
Interim Director of Teaching Fellows Program
Welcome Back Fellows!!
I hope everyone had a wonderful break. I am sure you enjoyed your time off, ate some great food, and just relaxed. We are all returning to UNCW with our minds, bodies, and souls refreshed! As we come back, I hope that each of you are ready to capture the laughter and hope of the new year as well as face new challenges with determination and dedication.
Speaking of challenges, good luck Seniors as you start your internships!! You all will be fabulous! Just remember all the experiences you have had in the classroom, and how much you love those kids! Best of luck and remember this quote by William Shakespeare: “To climb steep hills requires a slow pace at first.”
As each UNCW Fellows continues to climb the hills of success into the teaching profession, we must keep in mind that hills are sometimes better climb when one has support. We have a wonderful support system of 162 Fellows, 3 magnificent TF office staff, and all the Watson School of Education. Get to know the support that surrounds you because as you climb those steep hills a hand helping to pull you up is often offered you just have to be willing to take it. Please take the incentive this year to network in order to get to know each of your Fellows and professors a little better; you will be amazed how they can enrich your lives.
Have a great start to the semester, stop by and see me, and check the “Calendar of Events”. ( I know I’m bossy, but I do it with love!)
Teaching Fellows President
The Spring semester is off to a frigid start with record setting lows after these blistery holidays. However, things are just starting to heat up in the office. Amy, Elizabeth, Ben, and I are busy making sure that this office is working hard to keep the program constantly progressing and developing into the best and brightest in the great state of North Carolina.
We have several exciting events coming up, including the trip to Baltimore and Washington, D.C. in February. Trent, Bailey, and the sophomore class have been working tirelessly to ensure that we host another impressive and well-planned Open House for our Teaching Fellows on January 30, 2010. Of course, with individuals as great as the ones in this program, the work is almost done. Thanks for all you do. Study hard, and may this be the best semester yet for us at UNC-Wonderful.
I leave you with this thought for 2010: “We will open the book. Its pages are blank. We are going to put words on them ourselves. The book is called Opportunity and its first chapter is New Year's Day. “~Edith Lovejoy Pierce
Tyler C. Shumate
UNCW Teaching Fellows Go Above and Beyond.
Here are some of their achievements:
- Jeren Hernandez and Christopher Perez were named Freshman class representatives.
- Katie Brunner and Erika Murray were named SGA representatives.
- Monet Hardison won a scholarship for her essay as a part of the Blueberry Festival.
- Michelle Bruno made the UNCW softball team.
- Blake Bunn is now a member of the UNCW Cheerleading Squad.
- Congratulations to Julia Buckner, Jennifer Covert, Andy Cupit, Krystal Fish, Kaitlin Gurganus, Monet Hardison, Jeanne Hodges, Lindsey Justice, Jennifer Messer, Chase Morgan, Bardin Murray, Erika Murray, Joey Read, Jordan Rouse, Kenly Simmons, and Laura Ullom for making the Dean's List during Fall 2009!
- Congratulations to Teddy Walsh and Kelli Stephenson for making the Chancellor's List for Fall 2009!
- Congratulations to Patrick Oliver for becoming the New Membership Education Chair and Sam Bruce for becoming the Historian of the Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity.
- Erika Woolbert joined the intermural volleyball team.
- Congratulations to Brittany Knotts, Reba Schmidt, Jenna Baldiga, Nicole Horne, Kari Avolis, Elizabeth Budd, Jessica Dalere, Alex Hart, Katie Kelly, Hillary Laster, Katie Tilley, and Sharnee' White for making the Dean's List during Fall 2009!
- Congratulations to Jessica Byrd, Brittany Isaac, and Jill Baldwin for making the Chancellor's List for Fall 2009!
- Sarah Graham is engaged!
- Members of the junior class participated in the Junior Enrichment and Junior Conference.
- Ivy McCreary won the Alpha Phi Alpha pageant and will now move onto the district level.
- Congratulations to JoBeth Byrd, Nichole Kentrolis, Ivy McCreary, Jill Myers, Tara Tillman, Leslie Cottle, Tyler Grady, Tyler Knotts, Caroline Liles, MEgan Ray, Tyler Shumate, Ryan Stevens, Katie Tyson, and Iva Youhouse for making the Dean's List for Fall 2009!
- Congratulations to Kaeli Sink, Joanna Tart, Katie Wakefield, Tara Dixon, Anna Gilleland, Sarah Graham, Katy Gwaltney, Emma Hollsworth, Lauren Smith, and Kristi Waltz for making the Chancellor's List for Fall 2009!
- Tyler Hixon received the Wentworth Travel Fellowship to study Hemmingway in Michigan.
- Caroline Medford received the Reed Walmsley Award for her academic achievement and contributions to the Teaching Fellows Program.
- Members of the senior class participated in the Senior Enrichment and Senior Conference.
- Bre van Velzen was named president of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honors Society, and Maryanne Garris was named secretary and webmaster.
- Karla Albertson was named Study Abroad Ambassador for UNCW.
- Beth Woolbert joined the intermural volleyball team.
- Ronnie MacDougall will graduate early and start a new teaching position at Eaton Elementary.
- Sarah Scruggs is engaged!
- Congratulations to Kristin Brewer, Natalie Cicero, Caitlin Collins, Janine Collura, Kelly Davis, Abby Exum, Amanda Hannah, Aubrey Holloman, Caroline Medford, Katie Pritchard, Hannah Siler, Breana Van Velzen, and Beth Woolbert for making the Dean's List for Fall 2009!
- Congratulations to Adrienne Cannady, Robin Evans, Jenny Hunnicut, Ronnie MacDougal, Brittany Mason, Ashlyn Morris, Cameron Steger, Carie Williamson for making the Chancellor's List for Fall 2009!