What have we been doing?
Welcome back from Spring Break!
Even though snowy weather postponed the Regional Screening, the UNCW freshman Teaching Fellows did an excellent job looking professional and escorting prospective Teaching Fellows to their final interviews on February 27.
March has been a busy month for UNCW Teaching Fellows. Elections were in full fledge with Fellows running for the roles of president, class representatives, and committee co-chairs. The Teaching Fellows Program is happy to announce that Trent Crumpler will be the new president for the 2010-2011 school year.
There are several events coming up to the close of the semester. Several students are traveling to Baltimore to work with an inner city school, Friendship Academy for Science and Technology. The Fellows will also see the sights of our nation’s capitol. Other exciting upcoming events include a school supply drive on March 22 and 23, and “A Major Affair” on March 30 for upperclassmen and underclassmen to connect and offer suggestions about classes and schedules.
In April, the Teaching Fellows will also participate in a service auction as a creative fundraising event as well as a Pre-K Celebration for an outreach event. All Fellows should be aware of their event participation in order to fulfill their requirements for the program.
“Let us think of education as the means of developing our greatest abilities, because in each of us there is a private hope and dream which, fulfilled, can be translated into benefit for everyone and greater strength for our nation.”
John F. Kennedy
Service Learning in Baltimore |
Interim Director of Teaching Fellows Program
March has come in like a lion, and as it roars remember to brace yourself. Be the professionals that I know you all are. We must look at every challenge as a learning experience and grow from it. I know many of you are overwhelmed with classes and advising, but during those moments of “losing your mind” remember you have family that surrounds you. Use your roommates, friends, and me as a sounding board; we will remind you to breathe! So breathe.
I end my dish with this quote by William Wordsworth: The best portion of a good man’s life is his little nameless, unremembered acts of kindness and of love.
Teaching Fellows President
Hello to all the Teaching Fellows,
March is off to a nice warm snap, relieving us of the colds of winter and I am very happy about that. March is a busy month for us Fellows as we are in the search of a new director and are in the process of electing a new president and new council. March also brings the big Spring Trip to Washington, D.C. and Baltimore, MD where we will emerse ourselves in the history of our country as well as the school systems of Baltimore. I truly hope everyone had a relaxing Spring Break, and that everyone has come back ready to finish the final stretch of this academic marathon in confidence.
Thanks for all you do!
Spring has returned. The Earth is like a child that knows poems. ~Rainer Maria Rilke
UNCW Teaching Fellows Go Above and Beyond.
Here are some of their achievements:
- Jeren Hernandez and Christopher Perez were named Freshman class representatives.
- Katie Brunner and Erika Murray were named SGA representatives.
- Monet Hardison won a scholarship for her essay as a part of the Blueberry Festival.
- Michelle Bruno made the UNCW softball team.
- Blake Bunn is now a member of the UNCW Cheerleading Squad.
- Congratulations to Julia Buckner, Jennifer Covert, Andy Cupit, Krystal Fish, Kaitlin Gurganus, Monet Hardison, Jeanne Hodges, Lindsey Justice, Jennifer Messer, Chase Morgan, Bardin Murray, Erika Murray, Joey Read, Jordan Rouse, Kenly Simmons, and Laura Ullom for making the Dean's List during Fall 2009!
- Congratulations to Teddy Walsh and Kelli Stephenson for making the Chancellor's List for Fall 2009!
- Congratulations to Patrick Oliver for becoming the New Membership Education Chair and Sam Bruce for becoming the Historian of the Alpha Tau Omega Fraternity.
- Erika Woolbert joined the intermural volleyball team.
- Congratulations to Brittany Knotts, Reba Schmidt, Jenna Baldiga, Nicole Horne, Kari Avolis, Elizabeth Budd, Jessica Dalere, Alex Hart, Katie Kelly, Hillary Laster, Katie Tilley, and Sharnee' White for making the Dean's List during Fall 2009!
- Congratulations to Jessica Byrd, Brittany Isaac, and Jill Baldwin for making the Chancellor's List for Fall 2009!
- Sarah Graham is engaged!
- Members of the junior class participated in the Junior Enrichment and Junior Conference.
- Ivy McCreary won the Alpha Phi Alpha pageant and will now move onto the district level.
- Congratulations to JoBeth Byrd, Nichole Kentrolis, Ivy McCreary, Jill Myers, Tara Tillman, Leslie Cottle, Tyler Grady, Tyler Knotts, Caroline Liles, MEgan Ray, Tyler Shumate, Ryan Stevens, Katie Tyson, and Iva Youhouse for making the Dean's List for Fall 2009!
- Congratulations to Kaeli Sink, Joanna Tart, Katie Wakefield, Tara Dixon, Anna Gilleland, Sarah Graham, Katy Gwaltney, Emma Hollsworth, Lauren Smith, and Kristi Waltz for making the Chancellor's List for Fall 2009!
- Tyler Hixon received the Wentworth Travel Fellowship to study Hemmingway in Michigan.
- Caroline Medford received the Reed Walmsley Award for her academic achievement and contributions to the Teaching Fellows Program.
- Members of the senior class participated in the Senior Enrichment and Senior Conference.
- Bre van Velzen was named president of Sigma Tau Delta, the English Honors Society, and Maryanne Garris was named secretary and webmaster.
- Karla Albertson was named Study Abroad Ambassador for UNCW.
- Beth Woolbert joined the intermural volleyball team.
- Ronnie MacDougall will graduate early and start a new teaching position at Eaton Elementary.
- Sarah Scruggs is engaged!
- Congratulations to Kristin Brewer, Natalie Cicero, Caitlin Collins, Janine Collura, Kelly Davis, Abby Exum, Amanda Hannah, Aubrey Holloman, Caroline Medford, Katie Pritchard, Hannah Siler, Breana Van Velzen, and Beth Woolbert for making the Dean's List for Fall 2009!
- Congratulations to Adrienne Cannady, Robin Evans, Jenny Hunnicut, Ronnie MacDougal, Brittany Mason, Ashlyn Morris, Cameron Steger, Carie Williamson for making the Chancellor's List for Fall 2009!