The Department of Theatre enjoys a student population of talented, motivated young artists interested in exploring the art and craft of theatre. Our department’s faculty have impressive academic and professional credentials. Below is basic information to assist students with enrollment in both UNCW and the Department of Theatre.
- To arrange a visit to the theatre program contact Sue Wilder,, theatre program administrative assistant at 910.962.2061 or email email@example.com.
- Complimentary tickets to University Theatre productions are available to prospective students and guests upon request.
UNCW Freshmen Admission Requirements
- Although there is no minimum Grade Point Average (GPA) for enrollment, students should be aware that GPA and Class Rank are given great consideration. The average GPA is typically over 3.5 for accepted students.
- SAT and ACT tests. (Mean SAT score was above 1150 for this academic year)
- Recommendations from guidance counselors and core academic teachers.
- Community involvement and extracurricular activities, talents, interests, and work experience.
- Evidence of theatrical talent and experience.
UNCW Transfer Students Requirements
- Minimum GPA 2.50 on a 4.0 scale at all institutions attended
- Have completed at least 24 hours of transferable credit
- 3 hours in mathematics course
- Prospective students are encouraged to plan a full-day visit to the campus, including a campus tour which typically features the Cultural Arts Building. In addition, scheduling an appointment with the department chair is recommended. Attending a class session may also be arranged.
- While auditioning and portfolio review are not required for admission, we invite you to to present work such as a monologue, sample designs, production photos, prompt book, or research paper.
- It's helpful for us to know what motivates you to pursue a B.A. theatre degree at UNCW. Be prepared to tell us what interests you about our program and to discuss your goals.
- Once you apply to be admitted into UNCW be sure to keep us informed about your status, and do not hesitate to contact us with questions.
- We stongly advise freshman students planning to major in theatre to begin taking classes in theatre during the fall semester of their freshman year. First year students are eligible to audition as freshmen, and participate in a number of Department related events. As a freshman you are a member of University College, and can declare your major only after completing 24 credits. Most majors declare in their second semester of their freshman year. We don't want you to get lost in the freshman shuffle, so once on board, let us know you are here and we can help guide your first year experience at UNCW.
- Transfer students matriculate directly into the theatre major.
The next call for scholarship applications will be issued during the Spring 2016 semester. The Department of Theatre is proud to announce recipients of 2015-2016 theatre scholarships:
Kathleen Price Bryan Scholarship $750 - Allison Grady
The Doug Swink Scholarship $1300 - Taylor England
The Nikkita Donyal Johnson Diversity Scholarship $500 - TBD
The Terry Rogers Award $500 - TBD
Other awards can be applied for through the University and the College of Arts and Sciences.
Theatre Department Requirements
Admissions Contact Information
UNCW Academic Calendar
Contact information and important numbers
Department of Theatre Main Office Sue Wilder . firstname.lastname@example.org (910)-962-2061
Chair of the Department of Theatre, Thomas Salzman. email@example.com (910) 962-7364
Department of Admissions . (910) 962-3242
University Switch Board . (910) 962-3000