UNCW's Tobacco Policy went into effect on 6.1.2008, banning smoking within 25 feet of building entrances. On 10.30.2013, the policy was expanded to include all forms of smoking and tobacco use, including e-cigarettes and smokeless tobacco. The Smoking and Tobacco Product Use Policy(PDF) applies to all students, university employees, and visitors and guests of the university.
There are several key highlights:
- Smoking and tobacco product use are prohibited in all UNCW buildings.
- Smoking is prohibited up to 25 feet outside the entrance to any campus building (measured as 25 feet from the end of each formal entrance structure) and 25 feet from air handlers. Special consideration will be given to those buildings where compliance with a 25 feet perimeter poses a danger to the individual.
- Smoking and tobacco product use are prohibited in all UNCW vehicles.
- The sale of tobacco products on campus is prohibited.
- The free distribution of tobacco products on campus is prohibited.
- Registered student organizations are prohibited from accepting event sponsorship from tobacco brand companies and from promoting tobacco products.
- Tobacco products are defined as all tobacco-derived or containing products, including, but not limited to, cigarettes (clove, bidis, kreteks), electronic cigarettes, cigars and cigarillos, hookah smoked products, and oral tobacco (spit and spitless, smokeless, chew, snuff). This definition does not include any product that has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration for sale as a medicinal product.
- Smoking is defined as burning any type of tobacco product including, but not limited to, cigarettes, electronic and/or vaporized cigarettes, cigars, cigarillos, pipes and bidis.