UNCW instituted a tobacco policy on June 1, 2008.
There are several key highlights:
- Smoking is prohibited in all UNCW buildings.
- Smoking is prohibited up to 25 feet outside the entrance to any campus building (measured as 25 feet from the end of each formal entrance structure). Special consideration will be given to those buildings where compliance with a 25 feet perimeter poses a danger to the individual.
- Smoking is prohibited in all UNCW vehicles.
- The sale of tobacco products on campus is prohibited.
- The free distribution of tobacco products on campus is prohibited.
- Registered student organizations are prohibited from accepting event sponsorship from tobacco brand companies and from promoting tobacco products.
The Campus Tobacco Coalition has prepared a list of frequently asked questions.