Apply to Be A Mentor
A Teal Bridge Mentor is a UNCW transfer student volunteer who provides leadership and resources to new student transfers to UNCW. The Teal Bridge Mentor program is designed as a one-semester program to assist transfer students during their initial transition to UNCW. Each mentor will serve as a role model and guide for students as they become accustomed to UNCW life. Mentors may serve for more than one semester upon successful completion of application and interview, but will have different mentees each semester.
Complete the online application and submit by 5 p.m., Monday, October 27, 2014 then email Barbie Cowan (email@example.com) to schedule a personal interview. Interviews will be October 28-30, 2014 in the Transition Programs office (FUU 2017).
You must attend mandatory Mentor Training on Saturday, November 22 from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m. in the Masonboro Island Room (FSC 2011). If you cannot attend this training, you may not serve as a mentor Spring 2015.
For consideration, candidates must meet the following:
- Currently be classified a transfer student at UNCW
- Juniors and seniors are preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of the university and resources
- Positive attitude
- Good disciplinary standing
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5
- Successful completion of mentor training
- Attend all trainings and meetings deemed mandatory
- Be a role model and reference guide for a number of new transfer students each academic semester (fall and/or spring); number assigned to each mentor depends on number of requests for a mentor
- Maintain contact (email, phone, text, etc.) with new student(s) assigned to them and provide resource information to all assigned mentees
- Help students become familiar with university resources; advise and refer mentees to appropriate university resources
- Attend mandatory monthly Teal Bridge Workshops as scheduled
- Meet individually with students twice a month aside from and in addition to the Teal Bridge Workshops
- Participate in service learning projects as scheduled
- Submit monthly reports to the coordinator
- Mentors will act professionally at all times
- Mentors will be on time and participate in all scheduled meetings
- Mentors will report all concerns or issues with their mentees to the Coordinator of Transition Programs