Request a Mentor
We are so happy that you have decided to continue your education with us and we can’t wait to meet you! We want you to be successful in everything you do at UNCW. One of the things you can do to help yourself be successful is take advantage of special programming designed just for transfer students. We invite you to participate in our transfer student peer mentor program, The Teal Bridge, a one-semester program that assists transfer students during their initial transition to UNCW.
A Teal Bridge Mentor is a UNCW transfer student volunteer who provides leadership and support to new student transfers through the Teal Bridge program. Every transfer student who requests a mentor will be paired with an upperclassman, based on common factors including major, minor and interests. Your mentor will help you find your way round campus and resources, help you meet other students, and show you what the Teal Spirit is all about!
Teal Bridge Mentor programming is done with your success in mind. Subsequently, there are expectations of all mentees, including:
- Mentees will attend workshops and meetings deemed mandatory
- Mentees will meet with mentors at least twice a month outside of workshops
- Mentees will make every effort to attend additional activities that are scheduled to introduce them to the culture and atmosphere of UNCW
- Mentees will ask for and accept assistance offered
Apply to be a Mentor
Application and 2016 dates will post on December 1, 2015.
|March 2016||Applications Due|
|April 2016||Notification of acceptance|
A Teal Bridge Mentor is a UNCW transfer student volunteer who provides leadership and resources to new student transfers to UNCW through the Teal Bridge program, through the Office of Transition Programs.
The Teal Bridge Mentor program is designed as a one-semester program to assist transfer students during their initial transition to UNCW. Each mentor will serve as a role model and guide for students as they become accustomed to UNCW life. Mentors may serve for more than one semester upon successful completion of application and interview, but will have different mentees each semester.
For consideration, candidates must meet the following:
- Currently be classified a Transfer student at UNCW
- Juniors and seniors are preferred
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of the university and resources
- Positive attitude
- Good disciplinary standing
- Minimum cumulative grade point average of 2.5
- Successful completion of mentor training
- Attend all trainings and meetings deemed mandatory
- Be a role model and reference guide for a number of new transfer students each academic semester (fall and/or spring); number assigned to each mentor depends on number of requests for a mentor
- Maintain contact (email, phone, text, etc.) with new student(s) assigned to them and provide resource information to all assigned mentees
- Help students become familiar with university resources; advise and refer mentees to appropriate university resources
- Attend Teal Bridge Workshops/Activities as scheduled
- Meet individually with mentees twice a month aside from and in addition to the Teal Bridge Workshops
- Participate in service learning projects as scheduled
- Record observations and submit monthly reports to the coordinator
- Mentors will act professionally at all times
- Mentors will be on time and participate in all scheduled meetings
- Mentors will report all concerns or issues with their mentees to the Coordinator of Transition Programs
Questions about the peer mentor position or the application process should be directed to:Barbie N. Cowan
Coordinator of Transition Programs
University of North Carolina Wilmington