What is a Seahawk Link?
Seahawk Links are UNCW students who assist incoming freshmen with the transition into college during their first semester. Seahawk Links serve as a mentor to these students through interactions in the classroom and assist new students with making connections to UNCW. Students are chosen based upon their involvement, interpersonal, academic, and leadership skills.
Seahawk Links will:
- serve as a role model for UNCW students
- enhance communication, public speaking and facilitation skills
- establish a positive working relationships with UNCW faculty, freshmen and fellow Seahawk Links
- contribute to a positive classroom environment by working with UNCW faculty
- demonstrate their knowledge of university resources and their ability to refer others to university resources
- learn about various personal leadership styles and how these can enhance interpersonal relationships
- demonstrate collaborative problem solving skills
- identify transferable skills that align with personal and professional goals
Eligibility & Qualifications
- Must be in good academic and disciplinary standing with the University
- Must have a 2.5 cumulative GPA (unless this is your first term at UNCW)
- Must be a full-time student in the fall 2016 semester
- Must attend all the 2016 Seahawk Link Training Sessions.
- Spring Retreat: April 15-17
- Instructor Meet & Greet: April 22
- Fall Training: August 12
- Freshman Move In: August 13
- Seahawk Nation: August 14
- Convocation/Tie Dye with the Seahawk Links: August 15
- Family and Alumni Weekend: September 23-25
- Must attend ALL weekly Seahawk Link meetings in the fall:
Thursdays from 6:30 - 7:30 p.m.
- Provide support to freshmen through programming and outreach
- Attend all spring and fall trainings, weekly meetings, and mandatory events/programs
- Attend assigned First-Year Seminar course at least once a week
- Coordinate and manage First-Year Seminar event requirements
- Establish expectations with assigned First-Year Seminar instructor
- Facilitate the adjustment of new students to UNCW through the introduction of campus services, academic resources, and campus involvement opportunities
- Serve as a positive role model and peer mentor
- Participate in and promote Synergy, UNCW's Common Reading Experience
- Volunteer during Move-In
- Attend and participate in Convocation and Tie Dye with the Links
- Volunteer with UNCWelcome activities
- Volunteer with Family & Alumni Weekend
Terms of Employment
- Must be a full-time student during the fall 2016 semester. Employment will end at the end of the fall 2016 term (August - November).
- Seahawk Links will be compensated $7.25 per hour for attending class through November.
- Must maintain a 2.5 cumulative and semester GPA.
- Must maintain a good disciplinary standing by adhering to the Student Code of Life and University Honor Code.
- Must fulfill all Seahawk Link responsibilities including attendance at all mandatory meetings, trainings, and events.