- The deadline for travel check run is Friday at 10:45 a.m. for a check/direct deposit the following Friday.
|Upcoming Travel Classes|
Travel Card Admin
Travel for Independent Contractor
Independent Contractors should complete the PUR 1.40 before they are brought to campus. Please reference the Indpendent Contractor information on the Universitites Tax Compliance Website.
Who is an Indpendent Contractor?
- An individual invited to campus to participate in an event such as a seminar, panel discussion, or speaking engagement and will not receive payment or honorarium.
- Services provided by a professionla individual on a temporary or occasinoal basis, including but not limited to those provided by a speaker, visiting professor, doctor, dentist, scientist, or performer of the fine arts and similar professionals.
- Consultant Services provided y state employees or indpendent contractors prossesing specialized knowledge, experience, expertise and professional qualifications to investigate assigned problems or projects and to provide counsel, review and analysis or advice in formulating or implementing improvements in programs or services. This includes but is not limtied to the organization, planning, directing, control, evaluation and operation of a program, agency or department.
How to process travel for a Independent Contractor
There are three payment options that can be choosen to cover the travel exepnese of an Independent Contractor. Option One is the preferred method for paymen
All Inclusive Payment
Service Fee With Travel Reimbursement
In lieu of a fee for services, UNCW will either A)book and directly pay lodging B) book and prepay airfare OR C) reimburse travel expenses only.
Payment includeds fee for services and an allowance for travel expenses associated with the visit to campus.
This servcie type is processed in uShop with the PUR 1.40 application attached to the requistion.
Upon completion of service the uShop receipt is processed and invoice submitted. Payment is issued to the contractor on the next available Accounts Payable check run.
The service fee is processed through uShop with the PUR 1.40 application. Upon completion of service the uShop receipt is processed and invocie is submitted.
For reimbursement of travel expenses, the department completes the Independent Contractor Travel Expense Reimbursement form with originial receipts and a copy of the PUR 1.40 application attached and submits to the Travel Office. Payments will be issued to the contractor on the next available AP cycle.
No travel prepayments
A) Book and Directly pay lodging - UNCW Department will book and directly pay lodging. Lodging is processed through uShop with the PUR 1.40 attached to the requisition. No other travel reimbursements.
B)Book and Prepay Airfare- UNCW department will book and prepay airfare via current apprved travel agencies. See instrcutions for for completeing a paper Travel Authorization form and prepaid airfare on the non-emplyee page.
C)Reimburse Travel Expenses Only - UNCW will reimburse all travel expenses(including but not limited to airfare, mileage, rental car, lodging, meals, etc). No Prepaids
Once service is completed, the department completes the Independent Contractor Travel Expense
Reimbursement forms can be accessed and filled out from the travel webpage under Forms.
For additional information on how to process travel please see the individual expenses under the type of travel.
- Original reimbursement and backup documents are required with the travel package.
- If originals are not available, please attach a memo that explains why originals were not included with the travel reimbursement.
- All small receipts should be taped down to an 8 ½ by 11 sheet of white paper.
- Send travel reimbursement to Travel Office to be processed.
- Travelers are allowed one day of travel before the beginning of a conference and one day of travel after the conclusion of a conference.
- All travel reimbursements should be completed within 15 days of return, however it must be submitted to the travel office within 30 calendar days from the return date.