image 475x230

Lodging for Students

Reimbursement for lodging will only be made after the business trip has been completed.

How to enter Lodging in E-Travel

When entering lodging expenses in E-Travel, they will always be listed in the top section of the travel. This is an out of pocket expense for the traveler. Only include lodging plus any taxes & fees. All nights for the travel dates have to be entered to have the meals module become accessible. Please make sure that you enter the lodging in correctly because this controls your meals, it is a reimbursable expense only.

If someone besides the traveler paid for the lodging expense, it should be entered under Prepaid Other Expense to reimburse the person that paid for the lodging after the trip takes place.

For additional details on how to process lodging in E-Travel please see Step-By-Step Guide to E-Travel.

3rd Party Lodging

Third party lodging is no longer allowed unless approved by OSBM before the trip takes place. Third party lodging refers to an establishment that is being rented out by a third party or an establishment treated as an apartment building by state or local law. This means the only lodging allowable is in a hotel or motel. Any apartment or house rental will not be allowed unless OSBM approves beforehand.

For example, if the traveler chooses to stay in an apartment, house or other type of facility other than a regular hotel or motel the traveler must complete the following procedures prior to making lodging arrangements.

Process to request an exception to the Policy

The traveler will need to provide a memo to the Travel Office including

  • Purpose of having to rent the establishment
  • Provide evidence of savings to the state
  • Amount of the rental
  • Length of stay
  • List of everyone staying on the property
  • Funding source being used
  • Copy or Rental Agreement
  • The traveler must attest in writing that there is no conflict of interest (no family members own the property or benefit financially from the rental)
  • OSBM Exception Form
  • Please forward the above information to Laura Gore, Travel Manager
  • Examples of types of Lodging Establishments


Azales in bloom 

Documentation Required for Reimbursement for Lodging

An original itemized paid receipt from a commerical lodging establishment showing the cost of the room and taxes per night. The receipt must show a zero balance.

Lodging arrangements booked online through a vendor such as Orbitz, Travelocity, etc. are subject to the same rules as above. The following items are required:

  • The original online receipt confirming reservation and showing payment, with breakdown of the cost of the room and taxes each night, the number of nights and the number of guests.

  • Receipts are not normally given by the commercial lodging establishment except for the other expenses billed directly such as internet connection fees, phone calls, etc.   If these expenses are to be claimed by the traveler, the original receipt from the lodging establishment must be submitted.

  • If you order a package deal through a third party online vendor you will need to get individual quotes for each expense from the same vendor.   If the package deal is for more than one person the quote must be for one person.      

    Ex:  the package deal from Orbitz includes lodging and airfare for 3 people. Get a quote from Orbitz for airfare for one person for the business dates with the same airlines as the package deal.    Get a separate quote from Orbitz for lodging for one person for the business dates from the same hotel as the package deal.    If the comparison quotes are lower for a single flight or lodging expense we can only reimburse at the single rates. 

Current Rates For Lodging

The allowable lodging rate is set by the Office of State Budget and Management. Below you will find the current subsistance rates. If your lodging rate is higher than the below rate, it must be approved by the Budget Authority and Supervisor. Also justification must be provided in the form of a document showing that no other hotels had the current rate available.

Current Reimbursement Rate


$67.30 per night


$79.50 per night


Department of State


UNC Wilmington | 601 S. College Road, Wilmington NC 28403 | 910.962.3000 | About this Site | Copyright Notice | Feedback | Page maintained by:  L. Gore [ gorel AT uncw DOT edu ]