First Appointment Procedures
When students initially signs up for tutoring, they have the ability to schedule 4 appointments (2 week time period). So, by the end of the first session, it is important that you:
Tutor / Tutee Agreement
- Advise the tutee of ULC policies by reviewing (and having tutee sign) the "Tutor/Tutee Agreement"
- Review the "Effective Learning Services Tutoring Session" page with tutee
- Determine whether the tutee wants a recurring appointment or a one-time appointment
- At the end of the first appointment:
- (for recurring tutees) Check your Tutor Trac schedule to make tutee's desired day/time is available
- Go to the front desk with your tutee
- Give front desk staff the appropriate part of the "Tutor/Tutee Agreement"
- Make sure everyone (you, tutee, and front desk staff) understands the tutee's scheduling status
First Appointment Reminders
- Assess the tutee's concerns about the class. The "Tutee Self-Assessment" is an excellent assessment tool
- Discuss and suggest basic study skills that the tutee may utilize for the class
- Review the following ULC policies
- Preparation for sessions
- Academic honesty
- Cannot guarantee a better grade
- Cannot directly help with homework
- ULC office hours
- ULC contact information
- No contact between tutor/tutee outside of the ULC
- Students cannot make appointments through your sign-in. If you want to assist the tutee with their TT schedule, the tutee must be signed-in as themselves. This is accomplished by opening a new window and following sign-in procedures shown on the ULC homepage.
- During the Fall and Spring, students are only permitted two hours of tutoring per week with any individual tutor. (Daily appointments are permitted during the Summer semesters.) By the end of the first session, you and the tutee should decide how often to meet.
- If a tutee wants two hours of tutoring per week, then two separate one-hour sessions (on two different days) must be scheduled. A single two-hour sessions is only permitted on rare occasions with permission from the Learning Services Coordinator. If this permission is granted, the tutor must go to the front desk and verify this exta hour appointment.