Resources for Web Content Managers
- UNCW Web Style Guide (PDF)
- Website Project Request Form
- Responsible Use of Electronic Resources (PDF)
- Request to Grant Graduate Student Access to Website Directory (PDF)
- Adobe Contribute License Information
- Setting up a Manual Connection- PC (PDF)
- Setting up a Manual Connection-Mac (PDF)
- Web Content Manager Community
Submit a Help Ticket
Web Content Manager Training
- Log in to mySeaport
- Click SkillPort CBT
- Click Catalog > UNCW Custom Content Repository > UNCW Content Manager Training
Social Media on Your Website
Social media is an important part of your effort to engage your readers, whether they are members of the community, current and potential students, parents, faculty, staff or alumni.
Your marketing plan probably includes the use of Facebook, Twitter, YouTube, RSS, and blogs. In the future you might also leverage such popular social networking sites as Google +, Pinterest, Tumblr, Vimeo, Instagram, DropBox and LinkedIn.
Our Sharepoint sites are also a form of social networking, providing discussion forums, collaboration tools, newsfeeds, wikis, etc.
The 18-to-24 year old demographic experiences social networking as a normal part of life, and high school students are equally, if not more immersed. Alumni also use these sites after graduation during their employment searches, and for keeping engaged with their alma mater.
Social networking is also a significant factor in the higher education classroom and research efforts. It makes sense that university departments, faculty and researchers will integrate their scholarly networking into their official UNCW websites. This infographic contains some interesting points about the uses of social media in higher education. Read the whole article at ZDNet. (external link)
- Make sure you follow the UNCW social networking policies and procedures.
- Make sure your social networking activities comply with the Responsible use of Electronic Resources policy! (PDF)
- Best Practices for social networking at UNCW (PDF)
- We don't host or support Wordpress blogs on our servers. Your departmental Wordpress blog can be hosted for free at http://www.wordpress.com (external link)
Embedding Social Media on Your Site
Social networking sites often provide widgets, buttons, feeds, etc. to help you add interactivity to your site. You can embed them into your website by using the "Insert >HTML Snippet" menu selection in Contribute. (CTRL+ALT+H)
- Copy the embed code to your clipboard, select the Insert drop down menu in Contribute, and then select HTML Snippet.
- Paste (CTRL+V) the embed code
- Publish your page.