CRW 320: Adventure Writing!
- Read the article
- Watch the video
- See the photos
- Read student narratives
on the course page
Returning Spring 2014!
Kenan Hall 1225 | 910.962.3437 | firstname.lastname@example.org
MFA, University of North Carolina, Greensboro, 1990
BA, Virginia Commonwealth University, 1988
Rescuing Patty Hearst: Growing Up Sane in a Decade Gone Mad (Simon & Schuster, 2003), also released in Sweden
- "Homesickness," reprinted in The Pushcart Prize, XXV, 2001: Best of the Small Presses, originally printed in DoubleTake Magazine
- "Their First Patient," reprinted in Reading Critically, Writing Well, originally printed in DoubleTake Magazine
Awards & Fellowships
- Pushcart Prize
- North Carolina Arts Council Fellowship
- Rosalynn Carter Mental Health Journalism Fellowship
- 2003–2004 Kenan Visiting Writer at UNC Chapel Hill
- National Alliance on Mental Illness Outstanding Literature Award
- New York Alliance on Mental Illness Literature Award
- Blumenthal Writer and Reader Award
- Served as the Duke University Medical Center's Writer-in-Residence
- Durham Arts Council Emerging Artist Grant
Rescuing Patty Hearst was chosen as a Barnes & Noble Discover Great New Authors Selection and a Boston Globe Recommended Read. Holman has also published essays and articles in DoubleTake Magazine, Redbook, Women's Health, Prevention, Glamour, Self, O Magazine, More, Book Magazine, the Washington Post, the Atlanta Journal Constitution, the Hartford Courant, and numerous other publications.
A selection from Rescuing Patty Hearst aired on NPR's "This American Life" and was read by actress Catherine Keener.
Listen to Virginia being interviewed about Rescuing Patty Hearst on the Diane Rehm Show
Interview with Virginia on barnesandnoble.com
Excerpt and reading from Rescuing Patty Hearst online at Blackbird