I Am CHHS: Colleen Opalka, CHHS Executive Assistant to the Dean

I recently got back into running and have found it to be both energizing and mentally and physically therapeutic. My seven-year-old daughter, Rachel, has become my new running partner, so I am excited at the prospect of sharing this joy with her!"

I Am CHHS

Colleen Opalka

Title: Executive Assistant to the Dean

How long have you been working with the CHHS? I joined CHHS in April of 2015 but have been fortunate to work at UNCW since August of 2013.

Job Duties: I feel the best response is ‘a little bit of everything,' and that is why I love where I work and what I do! I provide administrative support to Dean Hardy, which includes calendar management/scheduling, as well as drafting correspondence, remarks and meeting agendas. My best days are when his go as smoothly as humanly possible! I also participate as part of and provide logistical support to the CHHS Leadership Team. I serve as liaison between the Office of the Dean and faculty, staff, other university departments and internal and external constituents. Communication is a key component of my job.

Hobbies: I recently got back into running and have found it to be both energizing and mentally and physically therapeutic. My seven-year-old daughter, Rachel, has become my new running partner, so I am excited at the prospect of sharing this joy with her! I also love cooking with my five-year-old son, Matthew, as sous chef; devouring a good book; spending time with friends over a glass of wine; and travelling to places I have never been before.