Police Department


What exactly is a University Referral?

A University Official Notice, or also known as a Referral, is an enforcement tool utilized by the University Police Department. It is the beginning of the University's judicial system and requires a student to schedule a meeting with the Dean of Students Office to discuss a violation. It is important to note that the University Official Notice is not a criminal charge. This document can also serve as a trespass notice for non-students. As a trespass notice it directs an individual not to return to the University's property for one year. The consequences for returning to the property could be a criminal charge for second degree trespassing. Trespass notices may be appealed to the Chief of Police at (910) 962-2222.

Will you unlock my vehicle if I lock my keys in it? Jumpstart my car if the battery is dead? Assist with a flat tire?

These are three of the most common ways that the University Police Department assists motorists. If you find yourself in a situation where you need help with any of these three needs or similar issues please call 962-2222, or use an emergency call box, and an officer will respond to assist you.

What is the University's Policy on Alcohol?

Anyone over the age of 21 can possess and consume alcoholic beverages in his/her residence only, and cannot provide alcohol to anyone who is not 21 years of age. Open containers of alcohol are not allowed outside of the residence. This entire policy is available in the UNCW Code of Student Life handbook under UNCW Policy on Alcohol.

What do I do if I am receiving harassing phone calls or emails?

If you live on campus you should contact the University Police Department at 962-2222, and provide us with complete details about the calls. Information such as how often, the duration of the calls, the times of the calls, what the caller is saying or not saying, and if they have threatened you in any way. If you wish, a Police Officer will respond to your location and take a complete report about the harassment you are receiving, and give you information and options about how to handle this problem. Some tips to help handle this situation are: don't talk to the caller, hang up the phone, unplug the phone, blow a loud whistle in the receiver of the phone, and request to change your telephone number. You can also notify your Resident Assistant about the situation. It should be noted that North Carolina Law defines harassing phone calls as using profane, indecent, or threatening language to any person over the telephone, annoying or harassing by repeated telephoning, or making false statements over the telephone (N.C.G.S. 14-196). It is also important to note that this law also applies to electronic communication and electronic mail. You may request to have your on campus residence telephone number changed through the University Telecommunications Office at 910-962-4019.

What happens to someone who is arrested on campus?

When someone is placed under arrest he/she is transported to the New Hanover County Sheriff's Department, located at 3950 Juvenile Center Dr. which is off of Blue Clay Rd. off of North College Rd, where they will appear before a magistrate. If the person is a student of the University, he will be referred to the Dean of Students Office as well. If the person is not a student, he would most likely be trespassed from the University's property for the period of one year. The individual may also be referred to the Dean of Students Office, be trespassed from the University, or be issued a North Carolina Uniform Citation instead of a physical arrest

What should I do if I am involved in a traffic accident on campus?

If you are involved in a traffic accident, contact the University Police as soon as possible at 962-2222, at 911, or use an emergency call box. Be prepared to tell the Police Telecommunicator where the accident occurred, whether or not there are any injuries, how many vehicles are involved, and the colors and types of the vehicles. A Police Officer will respond to your location.

How does the University Police handle skateboarding?

Skateboards are an acceptable means of transportation on the campus and are to be used for that purpose. Skateboarding on steps, landscaping planters, picnic tables and other University property causes damage and therefore is prohibited. Should a skateboarder be caught in violation of this policy, a Police Officer has a number of options available, including a verbal warning, a University Traffic Citation, and a University Official Notice, or referral to the Dean of Students Office.

What do I do if I receive a citation?

There are a few different forms of citations or "tickets," including Parking Citation, Traffic Warning Citation, University Traffic Citation, and the North Carolina Uniform Citation. If you receive:
Parking Ticket- you will have the option of either paying the amount noted on the citation at the Cashier's Office in the Warwick Center or appealing the citation at Auxiliary Services.
Warning Citation- the officer and your copy will provide instructions on what you need to do.
University Traffic Citation- you will also have the option of paying the amount of the citation at the Cashier's Office in the Warwick Center or appealing the citation at Auxiliary Services. Most traffic fines are $50.00. Your copy will provide instructions for both paying and appealing the citation.
North Carolina Uniform Citation- the officer and your copy of the citation will indicate if you are required to appear, and where to appear, in district court for the offense charged. If an appearance in court is mandatory, you must be in attendance on the scheduled date and time at the New Hanover County District Court Building in the appointed room.

How do I make an anonymous report to the police?

To make an anonymous report of criminal activity to the police you can call the University Police Tips Line at 962-TIPS (962-8477) or by our confidential crime report page. If you utilize this means of reporting a crime, please do so responsibly and provide as much information about the incident as possible. The University Police Department will also respect your privacy in reporting an incident that may be sensitive to your living arrangement when filing a report with an officer.

If the police find something illegal in my room but it belongs to my roommate, do I get in trouble as well?

Whether or not you get in trouble for something illegal being in your room is determined upon whether or not you were in possession of that item. If contraband is found in a common area of the room, an area that both you and your roommate use regularly, you both could be charged with possessing it. This is defined through North Carolina State Law as "constructive possession." If the contraband were found in an area that is under the exclusive control of your roommate, such as a top desk drawer that can be locked with a key, then possession would be exclusive to the person who controls that area. The recommended way to handle a situation in which you know your roommate possesses an illegal substance or other contraband would be to notify the University Police Department and allow us to investigate the matter appropriately. The UNCW Code of Student Life states that it is against policy for an individual to "conduct himself/herself in a manner which encourages or enables illegal activity or a violation of the Code of Student Life by failing to confront the behavior or by implicitly condoning the behavior by his/her presence during the activity."

What exactly is the University Police Department's jurisdiction? Can you stop somebody off campus?

The University Police Department has jurisdiction while within the geographical boundaries of the University property, adjoining roads, streets, or highways leading upon University property, and all property owned or leased by the University. A University Police Officer is authorized to stop a vehicle or person who was observed committing a violation on the University's property. Additionally, officers are authorized to engage in "hot pursuit" that leaves the University's property when the officer is pursuing a violator or suspect who has committed a violation on campus and is fleeing from that officer.

Other law enforcement agencies, within New Hanover County, such as the Wilmington Police Department, New Hanover County Sheriff's Department, or North Carolina Highway Patrol may also request the assistance of the University Police Department in what is called a "mutual aid agreement," and depending on the agreement may grant University Police the powers of arrest outside of its usual territorial jurisdiction.