2015 Upcoming Events
CIE in the News
- Lapetus Secures Funding, Plans Pilot Tests - GWBJ, 06.08.15
- UNCW's CIE celebrates growth, looks ahead to future leadership - Port City Daily, 05.26.15
- The new face of aging: UNCW professor turns life expectancy research into business - Port City Daily, 05.18.15
- Putting Buzzwords To Work - GWBJ, 05.18.15
- UNCW student has dream of green gym - Star News, 05.11.15
- Flippze Focuses On Student Users - GWBJ, 05.08.15
- UNCW Officials Look at CIE's Future - GWBJ, 03.27.15
- Tick-killing robot inventors open business office in Wilmington - Triangle Business Journal, 03.05.15
- UNC Wilmington Focuses on Building Region's Biotech and Medical Industries - Time Warner Cable News, 02.26.15
- Wireless Technology Goes To The Dogs - GWBJ, 02.17.15
- Why a new focus on entrepreneurship in Wilmington? - WRAL TechWire, 02.09.15
- Wilmington-based company says it's built a better baby bottle - Star News, 02.07.15
- 2014: Wilmington Proved It's a Town for Tourists And Startups - ExitEvent, 12.31.14
- UNCW's CIE Supports Veterans on the Road to Entrepreneurship - UNCW, 12.22.14
- Event Explores Social Marketing, Celebrates 'great' Year For Center - GWBJ, 12.18.14
CIE and Community Events
July 25, 12 p.m. - Cornhole Board Workshop at Elite Innovations
July 28, 4 p.m. - Adding Fuel to the Local Startup Scene with Regional Investors: Are you ready for takeoff? (Ironclad Brewery)
Beginning August 3:
Want to learn the fundamentals of building an app? Interested in the world of tech and startups in Wilmington? Think learning to code could be for you orjust want to learn the basics? We have you covered in our 2 week intensive Pop Up Code School!
The Tech Talent South team is going on tour to offer coding and web development pop up boot camps all over the country! Our next bootcamp kicks off in Wilmington, NC August 3rd-August 14th at none other than, UNCW's Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship!
So what's the schedule like?...
Pop Up Code Wilmington is Monday-Friday evenings (August 3rd-August 14th) from 6-9 PM | and Saturday (August 8th) 8 AM-2 PM
This consolidated two-week crash course will offer you the opportunity to jump right into your local tech scene by connecting with other amazing people, sharing your own ideas and innovations, and learning the skills you need to succeed.
Highlights of the Pop Up Code Include:
- Ruby on Rails
- Twitter Bootstrap
- Domain Modeling for database-backed web applications
- Understanding and utilizing APIs
Think this sounds up your alley? We're offering UNCW students 15% off with the code 'UNCW student' in the 'how did you hear about us' box! Our applications are currently open to the Wilmington area!So get to coding, here.
August 31, 5 p.m. - Straight from the State (tekMountain)
Cucalorus 10x10 Project
November 10, 2015
The 21st annual Cucalorus Film Festival brings back Norwood Cheek's 10x10 filmmaking challenge that pairs ten filmmakers with ten entrepreneurs to produce a short video in less than a week. This hands-on program is made possible through an ongoing partnership between Cucalorus, Castle Branch Corp.’s tekMountain incubator and the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship at the University of North Carolina Wilmington. The 10x10 program introduces creatives in the film industry to innovators in the world of emerging business and serves as a showcase for the growing community of entrepreneurs working in the Cape Fear region.
FILM STUDIES STUDENTS: Want to be a part of Wilmington's Cucalorus Film Festival? This year, junior and senior UNCW FST students have the opportunity to collaborate with a filmmaker and a CIE start-up to create a video for the 10x10 section of Cucalorus Film Festival. APPLY NOW!
Check out our film that debuted Sunday, November 16, 2014 at Cucalorus! Thank you to our filmmaker, Khang Mai!
The UNCW Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship (CIE) works to identify and nurture high-growth, high-impact companies and to accelerate the entrepreneurial ecosystem in southeastern North Carolina.
Our center is a nurturing environment for innovators as well
as the entrepreneurs who will start the businesses to bring those
innovations to the marketplace. With a combination of event space for
training, co-working space for “napkin-stage” startups, low cost office
space, experienced mentors and a future venture capital fund, we have
created a great environment for startups in a great place – Wilmington,
NC. Our unique events centered around increasing sales, preparing
successful SBIR grant proposals and developing better investor
presentations will help entrepreneurs make better fundamental decisions
at an early stage, setting them on the path to success within the local
Our center serves both the students and faculty of UNC Wilmington as well as the startups interested in being a part of our community. Our events are currently free and always lead to lively discussions about the new talent discovered in our backyard. We often invite out-of-town professionals from the entrepreneurship and business development worlds to speak about a variety of topics relevant to today’s economic challenges and opportunities for growing a business.
Please visit this site often for news about upcoming events and opportunities to see and hear from the companies you will read about tomorrow and for years to come.