2015 Upcoming Events
- Wednesday, March 11, 10 a.m. - 2 p.m., CIE - TriMech 3D Printer Lunch & Learn - You are invited to our upcoming TriMech 3D Printer Lunch & Learn where you will have the opportunity to meet Stratasys representatives, network with business professionals and learn more about the latest 3D printing technologies and services we offer. The event is free and lunch will also be served to all attendees. To register, visit the registration page.
- Thursday, March 26, 4 p.m., CIE - Building a successful product and innovation based company in NC - With the growth of the partnership between CIE and the MakerSpace, the MakerSpace has over 20 new product based companies in Wilmington from a Bluetooth based pet dish to a potential solution for COPD victims. Come hear from Aly Khalifa, Founder of Gamila Products/Design Box about his experience. RSVP now!
- Beginning February 17, CIE - Boot Camp for Entrepreneurs - An 8-session, 3-month long boot camp open for 12 participants. REGISTRATION IS FULL - to be considered for the next Boot Camp, please email email@example.com
- Every Wednesday, 8:30 a.m., CIE - High Tide Breakfast - Two 6 minute value proposition pitches from two startups and one introduction to a local or visiting mentor. Students and community are welcome to help building our startup community. RSVP to: firstname.lastname@example.org
CIE in the News
- Tick-killing robot inventors open business office in Wilmington - Triangle Business Journal, 03.05.15
- UNC Wilmington Focuses on Building Region's Biotech and Medical Industries - Time Warner Cable News, 02.26.15
- Wireless Technology Goes To The Dogs - GWBJ, 02.17.15
- Why a new focus on entrepreneurship in Wilmington? - WRAL TechWire, 02.09.15
- Wilmington-based company says it's built a better baby bottle - Star News, 02.07.15
- 2014: Wilmington Proved It's a Town for Tourists And Startups - ExitEvent, 12.31.14
- UNCW's CIE Supports Veterans on the Road to Entrepreneurship - UNCW, 12.22.14
- Event Explores Social Marketing, Celebrates 'great' Year For Center - GWBJ, 12.18.14
UNCW and theSupport the CIE Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship was recently featured on UNC-TV as part of the tour of the 17 member institutions in the UNC system. Watch this video detailing just a few of the many innovative programs at UNCW to see why we have become one of the top ten public institutions in the South according to U.S. News and World Report.
Through events, opportunities, research, education and building relationships, the Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship is building a large community of entrepreneurs.
- 40 companies call CIE home
- 3 members have won awards: Next Glass, 2 NCTA awards; Watson College of Education, Emerging Issues Forum; Dry Corp, Business NC Magazine Small Business of the Year
- 70% of money raised by Wired Wizards Indiegogo campaign was donated by CIE supporters
- 25 major events hosted since opening September 5, 2013
- 85 average number of attendees to our monthly events making them standing room only
- 20+ placed interns
- 2 CIE companies now have lab space at MARBIONC
- $75,000 invested into CIE tenant GO2, LLC by the Innovation Fund
- Added PivotPitch to the traditional RocketPitch event
- Helped Increase the number of GWBJ Coastal Entrepreneur Awards registrations
- Added a new tagline, "Where the River of Innovation Meets an Ocean of Possibilities"
- Hosted the inaugural Coastal Connect Entrepreneur and Capital Conference for our anniversary celebration
- Small Business and Technology Development Center (SBTDC)
- U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA)
- Swain Center for Business & Economic Services
- UNCW Office of Innovation and Commercialization
803 S College Road
Wilmington, NC 28403
We are located just off campus near the intersection of S. College Road and MacMillan.
UNCW Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship
601 South College Road
University of North Carolina Wilmington
Wilmington, NC 28403-5676
Jim Roberts, Executive Director
(910) 962.2886, email@example.com
Laura Brogdon, Administrative Assistant
(910) 962-3611 CIE@uncw.edu
Former Entrepreneurship Center Accomplishments
The center's accomplishments include:
- Provided forums through the Rocket Pitch series resulting in customer contracts exceeding $100,000 and debt and equity financing topping $4 million.
- Helped startup companies secure $5.2 million in equity financing through its signature Rocket Pitch events and meetings facilitated by the center
- Created numerous mentor relationships
- Recruited 3 businesses and helped launch 12 new startup companies in the region, three owned by UNCW graduates
- Indirectly supported the creation of jobs and student internships for area startup companies
- Educated area small business owners through entrepreneur speakers and classes, individual advice sessions, and training seminars
- Spring 2009 - Inception as "Entrepreneurship Initiative"
- Spring 2010 - Formalized into "Entrepreneruship Center"
- October 2011 - Identified as one of the Top 20 Emerging Entrepreneurship Centers in the nation by the Financial Services Forum
- February 2012 - Reorganized into a Limited Liability Company (LLC)
- February 2013 - Hosted Regional Entrepreneurship Summit and contracted with Startupoint
- April 2013 - Center for Innovation and Entrepreneurship Supports Economic Growth in Region with Establishment of Private Venture Capital Fund (more)
- Jim Roberts Named Director of CIE (more)
- September 2011 Newsletter
- August 2011 Newsletter
- June 2011 Newsletter
- April 2011 Newsletter
- March 2011 Newsletter
- February 2011 Newsletter
- November 2010 Newsletter
- October 2010 Newsletter
- September 2010 Newsletter
- August 2010 Newsletter
- June 2010 Newsletter
- May 2010 Newsletter
- April 2010 Newsletter
- March 2010 Newsletter