News and Events
- Emergency Preparedness Information
- Safety Tip Videos
Be Safe on Campus
Designated as a Disaster-Resistant University, UNCW promotes a safe environment on campus through education, response and well-practiced plans for a variety of man-made and natural emergencies.
Updated Emergency Status HERE
UNCW Alert includes the nearly 20 different communications tools that the university may deploy during an emergency.
Pay attention to emails, text messages, phone calls and other communications from "UNCW Alert." They are official UNCW emergency updates.
Seek Info During a Campus Emergency
Each of the university's nearly 20 different UNCW Alert tools will be deployed as warranted by each unique emergency situation. Up-to-date information will be available via the above sources and one or more of the following:
- Emergency information hotline - call locally at 910.962.3991 or toll free at 888.657.5751
- Blast e-mails to the inboxes of students, faculty and staff - monitor campus email for updates and instructions during an emergency
- Emergency information website - www.uncw.edu/alert - housed outside of the UNCW server
- Emergency text messages and text-to-voice phone messages for students, faculty and staff - sign up in mySeaport in order to receive these messages
- University homepage - emergency updates may be added in the News & Events sections and an emergency scrolling banner may be launched
- Social media - emergency information will be posted on the official UNCW Facebook and Twitter pages
- Other UNCW Alert tools - visit the UNCW Emergency Tools Guide
Act When the Seahawk Warning Siren Sounds
- Seek shelter indoors. Close windows and doors.
- Seek information from the UNCW sources of communication (see below). Information will be posted and disseminate as soon as possible.
- Wait for an "all clear" siren or message.
- More information is available at www.uncw.edu/siren.
Get Help for a Personal Emergency
- Call 911
- State your name, location, phone number and details of the emergency.
- Provide first aid in a medical emergency, if trained to do so.
- More information is available on the UNCW Police website.
- In emergencies involving relationship violence, call 910.962.CARE or 910.512.4821 and refer to http://www.uncw.edu/care.