Math Placement Test
Upcoming Test Dates
|Date and Time
|Sunday, August 17th, Arrive 3:30pm or 4:30pm
||Bear & CIS
|Tuesday, August 19th, Arrive 7:45am
||Bear 161 & Bear 164
|Friday, August 22nd, Arrive 2:45pm
|Tuesday, August 26th, Arrive 11:00am
|It is not necessary to make an appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions
- Who must take the UNCW math placement test?
- All incoming freshmen and some transfer students take the UNCW math placement test; however, some students may be exempt (see next question). The test is given as part of a new student's Orientation program. For additional information please choose your student status:
- Continuing students who missed their initial test date must take the placement test before they can register for a math class.
- Who does not need to take the UNCW math placement test?
- Students who intend to take MAT 101, after checking to make sure the course meets the math requirement of their intended major.
- Students who took the ACT Math Test and received a sufficiently high score:
- Students scoring 22 or higher may take MAT 111, MAT 141, MAT 142, STT 210, or STT 215 without taking the math placement exam.
- Students scoring 27 or higher may take MAT 112, MAT 115, or MAT 151 without taking a placement exam.
- Students scoring 29 or higher may take MAT 161 without taking the math placement exam.
- Students who took the AP Calculus Test and received a sufficiently high score:
- Students scoring a 2 on AP Calculus AB or BC may register for MAT 151 or MAT 161 without taking a math placement exam.
- Students scoring a 3 or higher on AP Calculus AB will get credit for MAT 161 and may take MAT 162.
- Students scoring a 3 or higher on AP Calculus BC will get credit for MAT 161 and MAT 162 and may take MAT 261.
- Students who have passed a CLEP, math exam or already have college-level credit for MAT 111, MAT 112, MAT 115, MAT 151, MAT 161 , MAT 162 or IB Math (minimum score: 5).
- How will my previous college math course or test result transfer in?
- You can find out what your previous math class transfers as at UNCW by checking your Transfer Credit Equivalents. If you took your course at a community college in North Carolina, click North Carolina in the state drop-down menu and submit. North Carolina Community Colleges is first on the list, so click submit again (the same information applies to all community colleges in North Carolina). If you took your course at another state community or four-year college, click the state in the drop-down menu, submit, then scroll through the list to find your college. This method is used for four-year colleges in North Carolina as well.
- If you took a test to receive credit (CLEP, AP, IB, etc.), here are the UNCW policies on Credit by Examination .
- Will I have to take the highest level math course I place into?
- No, your advisor will consider your placement and your intended major to help you decide which math course you should take. Although you may place high, the registration system will still allow you to take a lower level math course to fulfill the requirements for your intended major. It is in your best interest that you do your best on the placement test to broaden your career options.
- How can I prepare for the math placement test?
- Print the Algebra and/or Trigonometry review problems: Work the problems and check your answers. The problems you miss will indicate concepts you should spend more time reviewing.
- How can I find my math placement result (code)?
- Log onto SeaNet (directly or through SeaPort)
- Select the Student Services & Financial Aid Tab
- Select Student Records
- Select Student Information
- Click Submit on the current term
- Scroll to the bottom until you see "Test Score Information" (If you are retesting,be sure to check the date associated with the code).
- What does my math placement code mean?
- If your placement code is:
- 1: You may take MAT 105. (Or go through the online UNCW Math Readiness Program: Information)
- 2: You may take MAT 105, MAT 141 or MAT 142, as appropriate.
- 3: You may take MAT 111, MAT 115, MAT 141, MAT 142, and/or STT 210 or STT215, as appropriate.
- 4 or 5: We recommend that you take MAT 112, MAT 151 and/or STT 210 or STT 215, as appropriate. You may also take any other courses listed for placement code 3 or below.
- 6: We recommend that you take MAT 161 and/or STT 210 or STT 215, as appropriate. You may also take any other courses listed for placement codes 5 or below.
- What is supplemental credit?
- If you take the Math Placement Test and place into MAT 161 you will be granted supplemental credit upon completion of the course provided that you take MAT 161 as your first* math course at UNCW (*having no AP credit, no transfer credit, and no prior math credit at UNCW). When you pass the course with a "C" (2.00) or better, you will receive 3 credit hours for MAT 115. This credit may be used to fulfill basic studies requirements, however, it will not factor when computing your grade point average.
If you are interested in placing into MAT 161, it is necessary to have substantial math skills in Algebra and Trigonometry.