Web Publishing Resources
Web Publishing at UNCW:
Uploading Files to Personal Web Sites: Students
Your Web folder must contain an HTML file named "index.html" (preferred) or "index.htm"; this file is your default homepage and cannot be named differently.
- Click Start then "My Network Places"
- Click the "Entire Network" icon on the left
- Double click the "Microsoft Windows Network" icon
- Double click the "uncwstudent" icon.
- Double click the "www" folder
- You should now see your folder (which is named after your email user name); double-click to open it and then drag files over
- Click Start then select the search box.
- Type in \\uncwstudent\www\your-account where your-account is your UNCW username
- Your folder should open. Drag files to this folder.
Note: You can make a shortcut to your folder.
Macintosh OS X
- In the FInder, Click on the Go menu, and then "Connect to Server"
- Type in smb://student.uncw.edu/www/your-account and click Connect
- Authenticate with your UNCW username and password
- Select www-docs and then click OK
- Click on the "people" folder
- Locate the folder named with your UNCW username and click on it
- Drag files to this folder to upload them to your web site
To Upload Files from Off Campus
- Connect to the UNCW network via VPN
- Follow the instructions for your operating system above
If you are on Windows, you can also use FTP with Internet Explorer 7
- Open your Web Browser.
- In the address bar type: ftp://student.uncw.edu
- You will be prompted for your username (abc1234) and password (e-mail password)
- On the following page click on the Page dropdown in the right corner of the IE browser
- Select Open FTP Site in Windows Explorer
- You will then be prompted to log in again.
- You can now use this window like it was a folder on your computer.