More than 40% of freshmen
at peer institutions
receive merit scholarships compared to
just 5% at UNCW.
Goals of the Scholarship Program:
- Recruit the best and brightest students to UNCW
- Support students from admissions to commencement
with a merit scholarship renewable for eight semesters
- Empower students from all walks of life to attend UNCW
- Inspire donors to "adopt" a student or students for four years with a pledge of consistent contributions
- Provide donors with the opportunity to create lasting
tributes to family, friends and mentors through named, endowed scholarships
Thousand of student success stories unfold every year at UNCW. By establishing a scholarship, you help students soar to greatness. The university has identified merit scholarships as one of its most profound fundraising priorities. By supporting merit scholarships at UNCW, you position the university to flourish and sustain a growing legacy of excellence.
Share Your Scholarship Story
Submit your scholarship story to be shared on the website or in other publcations.
There are many ways to establish and support scholarships at UNCW.
To find out how, please contact any one of our Development Officers, they will be happy to determine which path is best for you.
UNCW Distinguished Merit Scholarship Program
UNCW’s national reputation for academic excellence inspires the best and brightest students to apply, but they frequently receive substantial scholarships from other universities that far exceed the merit awards UNCW can provide. To compete with the best universities in the nation, the UNCW Distinguished Merit Scholarship Program has been established to assist high-quality, dedicated and creative students.
In Competition for the Best and Brightest Students
These scholarships will rank among the most prestigious the university offers and promise to make the UNCW experience affordable and accessible for superior students from an array of cultural and ethnic backgrounds or financial circumstances. Students receiving these scholarships will be known as UNCW Distinguished Merit Scholars.
Create a Permanent Legacy of Philanthropic Support
Contributions to the UNCW Distinguished Merit Scholarship initiative are an investment in the long-term success of our brightest students and their potential to change the world. We hope you share our commitment to empowering them to soar higher than ever before.
Any gift amount can be applied to the Distinguished Merit Scholarship Fund. However:
- A recurring annual gift of $7,200 will cover tuition, books and fees for an in-state student
- A fund endowed at $150,000 will provide a Distinguished Merit Scholarship in perpetuity
- A gift of $400,000 will establish a truly prestigious scholarship program to attract students of the highest caliber to UNCW with coverage for the full cost of attendance
More Scholarships and Endowments