PHOTOS World Premiere Stage Adaptation of Invisible Man Court Theatre, Chicago, IL (Jan/Feb 2012)
PHOTOS Development Residency at UNCW (Oct. 2011)
READ Notes on the Adaptation of Ralph Ellison's Invisible Man (by Oren Jacoby)
VIDEO "I am an Invisible Man" by Huntington Theatre (Boston)
910.962.3500 / 800.732.3643
Office of Cultural Arts
University of North Carolina Wilmington
601 S. College Rd.
Wilmington, NC 28403-5966
World Premiere Stage Adaptation
Developed in residence (October 2011) as part of the UNCW Office of Cultural Arts Artist in Residence Program
During Fall 2011, UNCW embarked on a development residency with the creators of the world premiere stage adaptation of Ralph Ellison’s 1952 novel Invisible Man. Adapted by Oscar-nominated writer Oren Jacoby and directed by Christopher McElroen, founding artistic director of the Classical Theatre of Harlem, the new stage production (the first authorized by the Ralph and Fanny Ellison Charitable Trust) was completed during workshops and rehearsals at UNCW.
The completed production premiered at Chicago's Court Theater January 2012 to rave reviews (see below). During the 2012/13 Season, Invisible Man will be featured at the Studio Theatre in Washington, DC (Sept. 5 - Oct. 14, 2012) and Huntington Theatre in Boston, MA (Jan. 4 - Feb. 3, 2013).
Praise for play developed in residence at UNCW:
- Translating Ralph Ellison's 'Invisible Man' to the Stage (Boston Globe, 1/5/13) read more
- An Uncomfortable Tale, Told Anew (NY Times, 1/4/13) read more
- 'Invisible Man' nominated for seven Joseph Jefferson Awards, Chicago's highest theatrical honor, including Best Production, Best Director, Best Principal Actor and Best New Adaptation Read more
- 'Invisible Man' Headed to Boston, Washington (Chicago Tribune, 4/12/2012) Read more
- 3 1/2 Stars "a remarkable piece of made-in-Chicago theater that deserves to attract national attention" (Chris Jones Reveiw for Chicago Tribune) Read more
- Highly Recommended "a galvanic, emotionally fevered world premiere." (Hedy Weiss Review for Chicago Sun-Times) Read more
- 5 Stars "stunningly successful ... This Invisible Man should be seen far and wide." (Kris Vire Review for TimeOut Chicago) Read more
- An invisible man, live on stage: First adaptation of Ralph Ellison's novel debuts at Court Theatre (Chris Jones Preview for Chicago Tribune, 1/12/12) Read more
The Invisible Man Residency at UNCW was presented by the UNCW Office of Cultural Arts, in partnership with Randall Library, Upperman African American Cultural Center, Africana Studies and the Departments of English, Film Studies and Theatre.