- Teacher Worshop Registration Form (Middle/High School Band Directors)
- Free Performance for Fourth & Fifth Graders
- Jazz at Lincoln Center Website
- Alvin Atkinson Website
Jazz at Lincoln Center
Saturday, Feb. 25, 2012
Jazz at Lincoln Center Orchestra with Wynton Marsalis
Tues., Feb. 28, 2012
910.962.3500 / 800.732.3643
Office of Cultural Arts
University of North Carolina Wilmington
601 S. College Rd.
Wilmington, NC 28403-5966
For more information about our educational outreach opportunities, please contact the Office of Cultural Arts at 910.962.3218 or email us.
Jazz at Lincoln Center Professional Development Workshop for Middle/High School Band Directors
Alvin Atkinson, Instructor
Monday, Feb. 20, 2012
9 a.m. - noon, UNCW Beckwith Recital Hall
Jazz at Lincoln Center teaching artist Alvin Atkinson conducts a 3-hour workshop for middle and high school band teachers. The workshop will explore techniques for introducing middle/high school students to the various jazz performance styles and the fundamentals of improvisation.
Drummer Alvin Atkinson is a professional musician and teaching artist who conducts workshops and performs both nationally and internationally. He is currently the Jazz Language and Rhythm coach for Jazz at Lincoln Center’s prestigious Middle School Jazz Academy. He has performed throughout the world as part of special initiatives for Jazz at Lincoln Center, Kennedy Center and the U.S. State Department.
The UNCW Beckwith Recital Hall is located in the Cultural Arts Building. Parking instructions will be forwarded upon confirmation of your registration.
Space is limited. Registration is on a first-come, first-serve basis. You will receive a registration confirmation within two business days.
About the Residency
Jazz at Lincoln Center heads to Wilmington with their staff of acclaimed teaching artists and musicians!
During a weeklong residency, Jazz at Lincoln Center's quartet, under the direction of drummer Alvin Atkinson, conduct a series of outreach events, including:
- Master Classes and guest lecture appearances for UNCW students
- Professional Development Workshop for Regional Middle & High School Band Directors
- Clinics for students at Residency Host Schools, New Hanover High School and Myrtle Grove Middle School
- Two free school performances of "Discovering the Groove in Jazz and You" for fourth and fifth graders
- Family Concert featuring Jazz at Lincoln Center teaching artists and musicians, led by Alvin Atkinson, with special appearances by the Myrtle Grove Middle School Orchestra and New Hanover High School Jazz Band
Presented in partnership with Jazz at Lincoln Center’s Education Department and New Hanover County Schools.