How can I be admitted to the Department of Biology and Marine Biology?
First, you must be accepted to the University of North Carolina Wilmington. Second, you will need to complete 24 semester hours from an accredited four year university or college (i.e. UNCW), maintain at least a 2.0 overall GPA and have completed BIO 201 and BIO 202 with at least a 2.0 GPA or better in those two courses.

If you are a transfer student you will identify a major when you submit your application to UNCW. To become a major within the Department of Biology and Marine Biology you will need to have completed 24 semester credit hours at an accredited four year school OR an Associate of Science or Associate of Arts degree from an accredited two year college. You will also need to have an overall transfer GPA of 2.0 and have a 2.0 GPA in two laboratory biology courses equivalent to UNCW's BIO 201 and 202.

Are there internship opportunities available?
Some of our students have participated in local, state, and national internship programs.  For ideas and internship opportunities, refer to Student Opportunities.

Can students do research with faculty?
UNCW offers our undergraduate students the opportunity to work with faculty. A large part of our biology and marine biology majors typically participate in some type of research experience. Each semester many students become involved with research projects, either through faculty research grants, internships, directed independent studies, or honor projects. For a list of faculty research interests, please see our list of research areas.

What types of careers or graduate programs do your students pursue upon graduation from your program?
Here are some of the types of careers our students pursue upon graduation.  Graduate programs include:

What is the difference between marine biology and marine science?
The study of marine biology is the scientific study of of marine plants and animals and their environments.  The study of marine science is the study of the physical aspects of marine environments.

Who teaches lectures?
Faculty, who all hold a Ph.D. in their field, teach all lectures. Labs are taught by both faculty and graduate students, who are Teaching Assistants.

Are the faculty accessible to students?
Yes. Faculty have posted office hours and welcome students with questions.

What can I do with a major in...?

Are there jobs for graduates?
Yes. Career Services is a valuable resource for our students and alumni. Their web site is Some of our students have gone to work with local, state or federal agencies such as Smithsonian Institute, Fish and Wildlife Services, US Army Corps of Engineers, Environmental Protection Agency, state and local water quality agencies, and NOAA. Other students have gone to work with aquariums, museums, consulting firms, and pharmaceutical firms (research, analysis, and sales).

Wonderful web sites:
American Fisheries Society
NOAA Office of Protected Resources
International Marine Animal Training Association
The Society for Marine Mammalogy
Sea Grant Marine Careers
Student Conservation Association
The International Society for Behavioral Ecology
North Carolina Biotechnology Center
Association of American Medical Colleges
American Dental Association Index
American Optometric Association
American Veterinary Medical Association
American Physical Therapy Association

UNC Wilmington | 601 S. College Road, Wilmington NC 28403 | 910.962.3000 | About this Site | Copyright Notice | Feedback | Page maintained by:  T. Chadwick [ chadwickt AT uncw DOT edu ]