articles about CESTEM:
Visit our Congratulations page to see the area educators we are proud of!
News & Information
2015 Science Olympiad
The UNCW homepage published an article featuring Dr. Kubasko and the CESTEM team as we prepared for another exciting Regional Science Olympiad event held on March 7, 2015. To see the full article, please visit UNCW News.
2015 STEM Conference
CESTEM was able to host the highly successful K-12 STEM Conference on January 8-9, 2015. Educators from across North Carolina had the opportunity to learn about STEM Best Practices, hear the recently adopted STEM attributes, learn how to pursue STEM school recognition, have roundtable conversations with STEM professionals, and to learn about grant opportunities for funding innovation. CESTEM would like to thank every participant, speaker, and volunteer for all of their contributions to this year's conference. To see detailed coverage of the event, check out TWC News, Port City Daily, and WECT 6! (Posted: 19. Feb. 2015)
2014 Wilmington Regional Science Olympiad Wrap-Up!
We would like to thank every volunteer, participant, coach, event leader, and parent for all of their thoughtful contributions to this year's regional Science Olympiad! We shared a successful day of science with 847 students and almost 200 volunteers! View detailed coverage of this year's event from Watson Chronicle, WWAY, and also PortCityDaily.com! (Posted: 2. Apr. 2014)
2014 Southeast Regional Science and Engineering Fair highlighted by WWAY and The Seahawk!
CESTEM again hosted the Southeast Regional Science and Engineering Fair February 8, 2014 on the UNCW Campus! We saw almost 200 projects ranging from Biology and Chemistry to Technology and Engineering. We would like to thank all of the participants, parents, teachers, and volunteer judges for making this event so successful! View the articles and video highlighting the day from Watson Chronicle, WWAY and UNCW's official campus newspaper The Seahawk. View the winners! (Posted: 19. Feb. 2014)
Wilmington Regional Science Olympiad Tournament Featured in the NCSO 2012-2013 Annual Report!
We are honored to have our very ow Regional Tournament feature in the North Carolina Science Olympiad's Annual Report. The report also includes NCSO recent statistics, sponsors, and much more. Check out the NCSO Annual Report! (Posted: 24. Jan.2014)
2014 Southeast Regional Science Fair!
This annual event held on UNCW's campus is arriving quickly! It will be held February 8th, 2014 in Hanover Hall. Please visit the Science Fair page for more information about student invovlement and volunteer opportunities! (Posted: 17. Jan.2014)
GIS Day Coming to Wilmington!
Beginning in 1999, GIS Day's purpose has been to celebrate and educate internationally the use of geographic information systems (GIS) technology, focusing on the real-world applications of the technology. This international celebration is being held at sites around the world including right here on UNCW's campus! For more information about GIS Day please visit the official website! Join us to celebrate November 20th, 9am-8pm in DeLoach Hall!
CESTEM Director and Assistant Director Present at NC Professional Conferences
National Science Teachers Association Area Conference on Science Education: November 7-9, 2013
- Dennis Kubasko (with Sue Kezios (UNCW))- "Nature's Engineers: Connection STEM Education with Environmental Literacy Through Engineering"
- "This novel preK-12 curriculum features nature as engineer and problem solver, introducing students to organisms that are able to engineer componets of their habitat, and even entire ecosystems."
- Dennis Kubasko (with Amy Taylor (UNCW))- "Island Ecology for Educators: Using Coastal Resources to Engage Students"
- "This workshop summarizes web-based resources and lesson plans developed by engaging teachers with coastal ecosystems via field explorations of flora, fauna, and unique environmental issues."
- Chris Gordon (with Shelby Morge (UNCW))-"Using Squeak Etoys to Teach Technology Skills"
- "Learn to use Squeak Etoys, a free open-source computer programming environment that allows users to model any phenomenon using drag and drop titles."
North Carolina Council of Teachers of Mathematics 43rd Annual State Conference: October 31-November 1, 2013
- Chris Gordon (with Shelby Morge and Karen Hill (UNCW))- "Strengthen T and M in your STEM Class"
- "Use Squeak Etoys to strengthen the "T" and "M" in your STEM classroom! Squeak Etoys is a free computer program that allows teachers and students to develop models of CCSS math concepts and practices."
- Dennis Kubasko (with Ginger Rhodes (UNCW))- "Integrating Math and Science Using Probeware"
- "Teaching mathematics in relation to science provides opportunities for students to experience applications of abstract concepts. We will explore these connections in an interactive and hands-on setting using Vernier LabPro probeware."
Bridging the Gap: Uniting North Carolina K-16 STEM Education Conference: October 14-15, 2013
Dennis Kubakso (UNCW) (with Dr. Angelo Collins (ECU), Phillip Johnson (Appalachian State), and Dr. Jason Painter (NC State))- "Making a Difference! A Panel Discussion with Our Universities' STEM Center Directors"
Chris Gordon and Sridhar Narayan (UNCW)- "Modeling Using Squeak EToys
CESTEM Director Awarded Grant
We would like to congratulate our CESTEM director Dennis Kubasko for being mentioned in Campus News: Swoop! Dr. Dennis Kubasko was recently awarded a large grant for the "Introductory Biotechnology Workshop for High School Teachers" by the North Carolina Biotechnology Center! The grant was co-written by Joseph Covi, UNCW Biology and Marine Biology and our own Christopher Gordon, Watson College of Education and Assistant Director of CESTEM.
What do you know about North Carolina's Essential Standards? Check this link to the NC Department of Public Instruction
What do you know about North Carolina's Essential Standards and Common Core in Math and Science? Click here!
What do you know about the Common Core State Standards? Click here!