A student may apply to the Communication Studies program and become a Pre-Communication Studies (PCOM) major after earning a minimum 24 semester credit hours and a grade of "B" or above in COM 105: Introduction to Communication Studies. A PCOM major becomes a Communication Studies (COM) major by earning a grade of "B" or above in COM 200: Research Methods. All UNCW continuing and transfer students are subject to this gateway at the time of application.
More information about the PCOM Gateway can be found by revisiting our Admissions page, left side menu, or by clicking the following link: Admissions.
Flexibility is the key to a communication studies degree at UNCW. The major is designed to afford each student the opportunity to create a program of study around a core of required courses.
To earn a B.A. Degree in Communication Studies, the following courses must be completed. A minimum 2.00 GPA is required for these core courses.
- COM 105: Introduction to Communication Studies
- CSC 105: Introduction to Computing and Computer Applications
- COM 101: Public Speaking
- COM 200: Research Methods
- COM 305: Communication Theory
- COM 301: Rhetorical Theory
- COM 400: Discipline Capstone
Additional COM Course Work
Majors must also complete 21 hours of additional COM coursework following these stipulations:
- A minimum of 12 credit hours (out of the 21 additional hours) must be at the 300-400 level.
- A minimum of 3 credit hours (out of the 12 hours at the 300-400 level) must include a 400 level course other than COM 400 and COM 498. (this stipulation does not apply to those registered prior to the 2010 Academic Catalogue)
- A minimum 2.00 GPA is required for these additional 21 hours of COM courses.
- Differently titled courses with the numbers 295 or 495 may be repeated for additional credit.
With respect to these 21 hours, note the following restrictions on the maximum number of credit hours, towards the COM major, for these courses:
- COM 104: Concepts in Communication Studies ( 0 hours )
- COM 160: Engaging in Contemporary Media ( 0 or 3 hours )
- COM 212: Storytelling in the Community ( 3 Hours )
- COM 295: Seminar in Communication Studies ( 6 hours )
- COM 491: Directed Individual Study ( 0 hours )
- COM 495: Advanced Seminar in Communication Studies ( 6 hours )
- COM 498: Internship in Communication Studies ( 3 hours )
A maximum number of credit hours may be counted toward graduation from these courses as follows;*
- COM 212: Storytelling in the Community ( 8 hours )
- COM 491: Directed Individual Study ( 9 hours )
- COM 498: Internship in Communication Studies ( 12 hours )
- COM 160: Engaging in Contemporary Media may be used to fulfill university studies or be counted toward the COM major but not both.
- COM 104: Concepts in Communication Studies should not be taken if you plan on majoring in Communication Studies.
*A minimum of 124 semester hours of credit and a minimum GPA of 2.00 are required by the University for graduation. To see further details on graduation requirements please click the following link; Requirements for Graduation.
Recommended Courses and Course Descriptions
The following links may be helpful in planning your course schedule.