We are located in DePaolo Hall on the second floor in the west side of the building in Room 2079.
Self-Help Resources and Links
This page includes many useful links that will help you learn more about many common personal problems. Please realize that it is advisable to verify the accuracy of what you read on the Internet by consulting other independent and reliable sources, including the clinical staff at the UNCW Counseling Center.
These information sources are offered as an educational supplement and are not intended to replace counseling with a qualified professional. If you (UNCW students) have personal concerns that you would like to discuss, please contact the Counseling Center at 962-3746.
The Relationship Cure: A Five-Step Guide for Building Better Connections with Family, Friends, and Lovers by John Gottman, Ph.D. is another superb book by this author about improving intimate relationships. What distinguishes Gottman's writing from that of other self-help books is that it is based on research findings from his extensive studies. He states that his five steps will help you build better connections with the people you care about.
The Road Less Traveled by M. Scott Peck, M.D. Confronting and solving problems is a painful process, which most of us attempt to avoid. The very avoidance results in greater pain and an inability to grow both mentally and spiritually. Drawing heavily upon his own professional experience, Dr. M. Scott Peck, a practicing psychiatrist, suggests ways in which confronting and resolving our problems--and suffering through the changes--can enable us to reach a higher level of self understanding. Dr. Peck discusses the nature of loving relationships; how to recognize true compatibility; how to distinguish dependency from love; how to become one's own person; how to be a more sensitive parent.
Username: uncw ; Password: seahawks
- College - What Parents Need to Know
- College Transfer Student - A Guide To Success
- Getting the Most Out of College
- How to Get Good Grades in College
- How to Prepare for a Career and Get a Great Job
- BODY IMAGE
CHEMICAL DEPENDENCY AND SUBSTANCE ABUSE
- NIH National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism
- NIH National Institute on Drug Addiction
- Partnership For A Drug Free America
- National Counsel For Alcoholism and Drug Dependence
- Rethinking Drinking Pamphlet (pdf file)
- Cannabis And You Pamphlet (pdf file)
- How to Tell if Your Drink has been Drugged
- COLLABORATION FOR ASSAULT RESPONSE & EDUCATION (CARE)
- EATING DISORDERS
- MENTAL HEALTH
- OCD (Obsessive Compulsive Disorder)
- PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder)
- SLEEP HYGIENE
- STRESS AND ANXIETY
- Abdominal Breathing for Stress (MP3)
- Beach Imagery for Stress (MP3)
- Contemplate, AM Meditate, Relax-Create, Alert-Focus, PM Meditate, Sleep, Zen (MP3 files for help)
- Stress Management Booklet
- Interactive Stress Website
- Transition To College Tips For Parents (Brochure)
- Embrace College Life (Brochure)
- Student Assistance Program (for students covered by Student Health Plan)
Psychology In Daily Life
- Depression and How Psychotherapy and Other Treatments Can Help People Recover
- Memories of Childhood Abuse
- Controlling Anger Before It Controls You
- Choosing A Therapist
- Letting Go Tips for Parents (Brochure)
- Embrace College Life (Brochure)
Please contact the Counseling Center at x23746.