Bachelor of Arts in Geography
The Department of Geography and Geology at the University of North Carolina Wilmington offers a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree in geography. Students who pursue the B.A. degree in geography may choose from a broad, flexible program that meets personal educational goals and interests, including careers and graduate study in physical or human geography, planning or applied geography.
Requirements for a B.A. degree in Geography (Catalogue link with course descriptions)
Student Learning Outcomes for the B.A. degree in Geography
1: MAP SKILLS. Students should be able to…
- Design a map that clearly demonstrates a geographic pattern or process.
- Read and explain information displayed on specialized thematic maps
2: RESEARCH SKILLS. Students should be able to …
- Collect data and information related to geographic problems
- Critically assess the format, value, and limitations of various data and information sources.
3: ANALYTICAL SKILLS. Students should be able to…
- Manipulate geographic information in digital formats
- Determine and explain how a general geographic model or concept applies to a specific place, culture, or environmental system.
4: COMMUNICATION SKILLS. Students should be able to…
- Deliver an oral presentation that clearly explains geographical methods and concepts.
- Write a research paper or project report that synthesizes information from various sources to explain geographical methods and concepts.
- Describe the methods used to address a geographical problem or issue.