Bachelor of Arts in Geography
The Department of Geography and Geology at the University of North Carolina Wilmington offers a Bachelor of Arts (B.A.) degree in geography. Students who pursue the B.A. degree in geography may choose from a broad, flexible program that meets personal educational goals and interests, including careers and graduate study in physical or human geography, planning or applied geography.
Degree Requirements: Catalogue Year 2010-2011
Requirements for a Major in Geography for the B.A. Degree: 43 hours. Core requirements: GGY 130, 140, 180, 181, 220 and 495 (17 hours). In addition, students must complete a minimum of 17 hours within a chosen option, 9 hours outside of the option, at least one laboratory class (**), and at least one regional class (***). At least 14 hours must be above the 299 level.
Option 1. Applied Geography. Option requirements: GGY 222, 270 and 328**. Choose a minimum of 8 hours from GGY 422**, 424**, 426**, 473, and 478. This option is designed for students who are interested in careers as planners, remote sensing, GIS specialists, and historic preservation.
Option 2. Human Geography. Option requirements: GGY 210 and 382***. Choose a minimum of 11 hours from GGY 255***, 282***, 312, 317, 340, 345, 346, 350, 360, 383***, 384***, 385***, 386***, 388***, 452 and 485***. This option is designed for students who are interested in careers as regional specialists, international business officials, and social scientists.
Option 3. Physical Geography. Option requirements: GGY 222 and 230. Choose a minimum of 11 hours from GGY 235, 333**, 335**, 336, 433, 435, 436, and 437**. This option is designed for students who are interested in careers as climatologists/meteorologists, geomorphologists, and hydrologists.
A “C” (2.00) or better average is required on all courses taken within the department and on all required courses above the 199 level in the department.
Computer Requirement: To satisfy the computer requirement for the B.A. degree in geography a student must successfully complete GGY 220.
Oral Communication Requirement: To satisfy the oral communication requirement for the B.A. degree in geography a student must successfully complete GGY 495.
Applied Learning Requirement: To satisfy the applied learning requirement for the B.A. degree in geography a student must successfully complete one of the following courses: GGY 333, 335, 384, 422, 424, 426, 433, 437, 473, 478, 491, 498 or 499.
Student Learning Outcomes for the B.A. degree in Geography
1: MAP SKILLS. Students should be able to…
- Design a map that clearly demonstrates a geographic pattern or process.
- Read and explain information displayed on specialized thematic maps
2: RESEARCH SKILLS. Students should be able to …
- Collect data and information related to geographic problems
- Critically assess the format, value, and limitations of various data and information sources.
3: ANALYTICAL SKILLS. Students should be able to…
- Manipulate geographic information in digital formats
- Determine and explain how a general geographic model or concept applies to a specific place, culture, or environmental system.
4: COMMUNICATION SKILLS. Students should be able to…
- Deliver an oral presentation that clearly explains geographical methods and concepts.
- Write a research paper or project report that synthesizes information from various sources to explain geographical methods and concepts.
- Describe the methods used to address a geographical problem or issue.