Frequently Asked Questions

1. In regards to your program, what kind of job can I get with a CIS degree/license?

Students who pursue CIS degrees are usually interested in school-level or district-level leadership around one of the areas in the program (Curriculum, Instruction, or Supervision).  Some students accept jobs as Curriculum Specialists, Reading Specialists, Math Specialists, Title I Specialists. Others accept district leadership roles around professional development of teachers, curriculum development, instructional leadership, etc. There really is a lot of variety in positions; most students are attracted to the CIS degree in part because of the variety it offers.

2. Who advises me and how can I map out my program?

Dr. Amy Garrett Dikkers serves as CIS Coordinator and advisor; you must set up an appointment (phone call, office or Skype) by e-mailing her at at the beginning of your program.

Students should use the Record of Progress documents (see homepage and related links) to plan for their program; it is the student’s responsibility to plan and complete requirements.

3. How is your program delivered?

Our program is completely online.  Each course is set up based on the course requirements and the instructor; this can be in either a synchronous (logged on at the same time), asynchronous (you log on at any time); or a blend of both.  You must have access to the Internet with a computer that is capable of downloading documents, video, and audio clips.

4. I notice different courses have field requirements; may I complete these field experiences in my current school?

Yes; our students generally find that their school (or district) is happy to work with them in this.  We also work closely with the Educational Lab located in the Watson College of Education Building for field experience opportunities.

5. What experiences are required to be admitted into the CIS program?

We prefer our candidates to have three years of teaching experience, but that can be broadened to include professional experience.

6. Do I need a Master’s degree in education to be admitted to the CIS Add-on Licensure program?

No. You do not need a Master’s degree in education.  However your Master’s degree must be from an accredited university.

7. Do I need a current teaching license to receive the CIS add-on licensure?

Yes. A current teaching license is required to receive this additional certification; however it is not required to complete the master’s program in CIS.

8. As I complete the program, what Praxis Test is required as I seek to obtain licensure?

The new Praxis test is #5411 (score of 145 needed) which replaces the old 0410 test (590 score needed).  For further information about our tests, please visit the University testing services link.

9. When are your application deadlines? 

See information about deadlines and other items at the Graduate School link here:

Applications are accepted at all times. Admission to the program must be determined by:

Completed Application
Start Date
May 15
Fall 2016
October 15
Spring 2016
March 15
Summer I 2016
March 15
Summer II 2016


10. In regards to applying, what type of reference letters do I need?

Members of the admissions committee want to hear from references about the length of time they have known you, in what capacity, and what skills and dispositions you have that make you well-suited for graduate work at this time. There are not specific questions or format. A letter in which they speak to your qualifications for graduate work would be fine.

11. If I am not sure which Master’s program in your department is right for me, what should I do?

If you aren’t sure, you can apply as a non-degree seeking student and try a few classes. Many of our Master’s in School Administration students do the CIS add-on and vice versa. You can take 9 hours before declaring a major. Please contact the program advisor to discuss your goals and reasons for wanting to pursue an advanced degree prior to enrolling.

12.  How long will it take me to finish the program?

Usually about 2 years. There are many variables that impact program completion that include, number of courses you take each semester, whether or not you take classes in the summer, whether you have transfer credit, or how long it takes you to complete your culminating project.

13. Are there scholarships available to help me pay my tuition?

Please contact the UNCW Financial Aid Office,  Make sure you identify funds that support graduate studies.

Contact information:




UNC Wilmington | 601 S. College Road, Wilmington NC 28403 | 910.962.3000 | About this Site | Copyright Notice | Feedback | Page maintained by: