At UNCW, passionate and engaged teaching, learning and research matter. UNCW is an active learning community that uniquely combines a small-college commitment to excellence in teaching with a research university's opportunities for student involvement in significant faculty scholarship.
The university offers a culture that fosters:
- creative, critical and reflective thinking
- lifelong learning
- communication and interaction
- a celebration of diversity of people and ideas
- commitment to improving the quality of life on and off campus
- ecological diversity and sound environmental stewardship
- and personal achievement and integrity.
Excellence in undergraduate teaching at the forefront of knowledge and technology has been a hallmark at UNCW, recognized and rewarded since its inception. At UNCW, students are afforded opportunities to learn through collaborative scholarly activities with world-class faculty at a level that rivals exclusive research institutions of similar size. The university is committed to service as both an obligation and an opportunity to improve the quality of life of the institution and the quality of life in the region.