Frequently Asked Questions

Colloquium presenter Spring 2006The following are some questions asked by many prospective and incoming students. Click on the question to see the answer, or just scroll down to read the entire page.


What is Instructional Technology?

Instructional technology refers to the theory and practice of design, development, utilization, management and evaluation of the processes and resources for learning. It is used to improve educational and training systems in organizational settings, school systems, and universities through the application of research and best practices from instructional technology. We believe that Instructional Technology is much more than hardware and computer software development. Instructional Technologies also encompasses the instructional design process, which includes analysis, design, development, evaluation, and implementation of instructional systems and other learning environments. Related areas of study include educational psychology, organizational development, communications, message design, multimedia development, electronic distance education, management and consultation, technical writing, information systems design, to name a few.

Graduates of our program typically assume design/development roles in public or private organizations—both in education and corporate organizations.


What can I do with a degree in Instructional Technology?

Active professionals with degrees in Instructional Technology (or instructional design) are highly regarded in many varied educational and training settings. Examples include computer-based learning, online learning via the World Wide Web, instructional videos, or “just-in-time learning” modules used in government or businesses. Other examples include:


Who hires instructional technologists?

Instructional Technologists are employed in several settings. The largest number of instructional technologists are employed as:

Are there currently any jobs in this field?

Yes! As in any profession, the economic cycles and shifts create a dynamic work search environment. During “booming” times the jobs seem to be looking for you, at other times you have to search long and hard for the right opportunity, but the field of instructional design is well recognized as adding value to teaching and learning.

Examples of job postings include:


Can I earn a teaching license in the Instructional Technology program?

The Instructional Technology program will not fulfill state teaching and licensure requirements. Licensure programs offered through the Watson School of Education. The graduate licensure programs are listed at


Is there a teacher license or certification to teach computer skills in the classroom?

Currently there is not a teacher licensure program in North Carolina for teaching computer related skills. Teachers must fulfill state teaching and licensure requirements. Licensure programs offered through the Watson School of Education. The graduate licensure programs are listed at


Do you offer courses online?

All MIT courses are offered both live and online.

What computer skills will I need for this program?

Students entering the Instructional Technology program should have competency in general computer skills to include email, word processing, spreadsheets, data base, web search engines and file management. Students who lack these skills should take a basic technology course before beginning their course work. Watson School of Education offers a basic technology course. Students entering the program with very little or no computing experience are advised to take EDN 303, Instructional Technology or pass the performance competencies test for EDN 303.


How long will it take me to complete my degree?

Most IT students are part-time; they work during the day and attend class at night. Students typically take one or two classes per term, and attend year-round.

Full time Master's students typically complete their degree requirements in two years. Full time Instructional Technology Specialist students complete their certificate in one year. (University policy allows six years for completion.)

Part time students tend to take three years to complete their coursework and qualifying exams.

Can I transfer credits from another institution or program?

Yes. For the Master's Degree and Instructional Technology Specialist Certificate, the College of Education may accept a maximum of six credits of graduate work from an accredited university. Certain conditions may apply. In case of transfer credit, a Request for Transfer of Credit form must be completed and approved. Consult an advisor for specific issues in transferring credit and for the request form.


Can I get credit for life/work experience?

No. Although your relevant life/work experience will help you in completing the program, UNCW does not give credit for your life/work experience. However, those who enter the IT program with extensive design experience may have some degree requirements replaced with more useful course work.

Will I need to own a computer?

It’s not a requirement, but you will find it helpful to at least have access to a computer. There are labs with computers available for use here, but obviously you would need to travel to campus every time you want to use them.

This is as good place as any to point out that as a student, you qualify for academic pricing on many software packages. Visit the campus bookstore to see what is available, or search the Web.


Where can I find the upcoming schedule of classes?

The university publishes a schedule of classes three times a year (for the Fall, Spring and Summer terms). You can find the schedule online.

How do I register for classes?

You will register Via the web at (you will need your UNCW Access ID and password)

Instructions can be found online or here. Note that during Early Registration, scheduled days and times vary according to the first letter of your last name.


What are the deadlines for class registration?

Check for current information. You can also check the upcoming academic calendar.

How many students are currently enrolled in the program?

Approximately 30 graduate students are enrolled in MIT courses each semester. Typically, the program offers 6 courses each semester, with an average enrollment of 7-15 students per class.


Is there assistance with finding a job after graduation?

Your faculty advisor will provide guidance and feedback about your professional portfolio. Additionally, the MIT program supports an informal network of alumni through relationships among faculty, staff, students, and alumni. The MIT Alumni network supports students in various ways, including providing ways to network with other instructional design professionals, especially in the Area. For more information about MIT Alumni, consult the Alumni of the MIT Web site

Finally, UNCW provides employment assistance through the Career Center, located in Room 104/106 in the University Union.

Is there someone I could speak or meet to learn more about the program?

Contact the IT Program Coordinator, Dr. Ray Pastore, at 732.766.1140 or


UNC Wilmington | 601 S. College Road, Wilmington NC 28403 | 910.962.3000 | About this Site | Copyright Notice | Feedback | Page maintained by: