The WCE produces several publications and guides. Learn more about Watson Publications >
- Brown Bag Series
- Meet the Community Non-Profits
- Outreach Spring Conference Series
- WCE Speaker Series
Learn about the Watson College of Education's history and it's future. Learn more About Watson >
Research & Highlights
Keep up to date with the exciting things our faculty and staff are doing. Visit our Research & Highlights page >
Recent News & Events
2015 WCE Public Speaker Series
Frances O’Connell Rust, University of Pennsylvania
The Problem IS the Practice: Defining Teacher Education in a Social Media Revolution
Frances O’Connell Rust is a Senior Fellow and Director of Teacher Education programs at the University of Pennsylvania Graduate School of Education, and Professor Emeritus, New York University Steinhardt School of Education.
Her awards include the American Educational Research Association’s Outstanding Dissertation Award (1985), the Association of Teacher Educators’ award for Distinguished Research in Teacher Education (2001) and the National Association of Early Childhood Teacher Educators’ Outstanding Teacher Educator Award (2008).
WCE Receives Outstanding Reaccreditation Report
The Watson College of Education is proud to announce results of its 2013-14 reaccreditation review by the National Council of Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE), now the Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP). The college has received full approval of all undergraduate and graduate level teacher preparation programs, having met six rigorous standards set by the professional education community. Learn more >
UNCW earns Carnegie Community Engagement classification, with Watson being included as a major contributor to community involvement! We've also been ranked #35 out of 179 universities in the US News and World Report rankings for Best Online Programs in Education (Graduate).
Archived Series Presentations
- What Works >
- Meet the Community Non-Profits >
- Outreach Spring Conference Series >
- Brown Bag Series >
- WCE Speaker Series >
- Internationalizing Education Conference >
- WCE Alumni Honored as Principals of the Year
- WCE Alumni Honored as NHCS Educators of the Year
- CESTEM's 1st Annual K-12 STEM Education Conference was a success. WECT and PortCityDaily.com covered the event.
- Featured on WHQR: Wilmington Math Teacher Implements Classcraft, An Educational Role-Playing Computer Game
- ‘Stopping the School to Prison Pipeline’ Event Draws Standing-Room-Only Crowd at UNCW
- Dr. Mahnaz Moallem serves as the lead PI on a $300,000 grant from the National Science Foundation.
- Two WCE Department of ITFSE Professors Receive Grants
- Dr. Candace Thompson: UNCW Convocation 2014 Keynote Speech
- UNCW's Watson College of Education Proposal Wins $50,000!
- N.C. teachers & parents see legislative changes as harmful, survey finds
- WCE Hosts Legislative Forum
- PDS University-School Partnership Agreement Signing
View photos of the ceremony > or Read the WECT article >
- WCE Alumni & Partnership Teachers Receive Awards
- CESTEM Gets the Grants!
- Students Graduate from the Youthbuild Program at UNCW
- Duplin County Pilots Self-Mentoring Program in District
- ELMS hosts "Response to Instruction and English Language Learners: National, State and Local Issues"
- Portrait Unveiling of Dr. Cathy Barlow