The WCE produces several publications and guides. Learn more about Watson Publications >
- Brown Bag Series
- Meet the Community Non-Profits
- Outreach Spring Conference Series
- WCE Speaker Series
Learn about the Watson College of Education's history and it's future. Learn more About Watson >
Research & Highlights
Keep up to date with the exciting things our faculty and staff are doing. Visit our Research & Highlights page >
Recent News & Events
2014 WCE Public Speaker Series
Dr. Terrell Strayhorn - Oct. 20, 2014
Terrell L. Strayhorn, Ph.D., is Professor of Higher Education at The Ohio State University, where he also serves as Director of the Center for Higher Education Enterprise. His research agenda focuses on major policy issues in education: student access and achievement, equity and diversity, impact of college on students, and student learning and development. Learn more about our exciting speaker for the fall semester >
Faculty from the Watson College will provide two Poverty Simulations during the fall semester. This is the fifth year the program has been offered. To date, more than 1,500 UNCW students and community members have participated in the simulation, which provides an opportunity to get a glimpse into some of the challenges families living in poverty face every day.
- Tuesday, Oct. 21, 5:30-8 p.m., Room 162
This session is now full for participants, but we are still accepting volunteers.
- Wednesday, Nov. 19, 5:30-8 p.m., Room 162
Twenty volunteers are needed for each session. Register as a participant or volunteer here >
All faculty, staff, students and community members are invited to join us for lunchtime presentations throughout our fall and spring semesters.
Light refreshments will be provided. For more information, call the Dean's Office at 910-962-3354.
- Tuesday, September 16 - EB 337
Scott Imig and Bill Sterrett (EL)
“Green Ribbon Schools: Challenges, Benefits and Leadership Implications”
- Thursday, October 23 - EB 162
Debbie Powell (EEMLS)
“Evolution and Revolution of Uni-SPIRE and the Universal Writing Continuum”
- Monday, November 17 - EB 337
Kosta Kyriacopoulos (EEMLS)
“Millenials and Race in the South”
(starting at 12:30 – 1:30 PM)
- Wednesday, February 11 - Location TBD
Chuck Jurich (EEMLS)
“Unpacking Collaborative Multiple Authorship and New Literacies Writing Practices in an Elementary After-School Video Production Club”
- Tuesday, April 14 - Location TBD
Somer Lewis (PDS) and Amy Garrett-Dikkers (EL)
“Online and Blended Learning for At-Risk Youth”
Dr. Candace Thompson: UNCW Convocation 2014 Keynote Speech
We are so proud of our own Candace Thompson! Her 2014 Convocation address brought the house down and inspired students, faculty, and staff. View it online
Archived Series Presentations
- What Works >
- Meet the Community Non-Profits >
- Outreach Spring Conference Series >
- Brown Bag Series >
- WCE Speaker Series >
- Internationalizing Education Conference >
- UNCW's Watson College of Education Proposal Wins $50,000!
- N.C. teachers & parents see legislative changes as harmful, survey finds
- WCE Hosts Legislative Forum
- PDS University-School Partnership Agreement Signing
View photos of the ceremony > or Read the WECT article >
- WCE Alumni & Partnership Teachers Receive Awards
- CESTEM Gets the Grants!
- Students Graduate from the Youthbuild Program at UNCW
- Duplin County Pilots Self-Mentoring Program in District
- ELMS hosts "Response to Instruction and English Language Learners: National, State and Local Issues"
- Portrait Unveiling of Dr. Cathy Barlow