Recent News & Events
The 2017 January Edition of the Watson Chronicle is online!
Want to know what Watson College has been doing this semester? Want to know what's coming up? We have all of those wonderful stories and more in the newest edition of the Watson Chronicle online. View it here >
Robert Smith Named First Wendy and Dell Murphy Distinguished Professorship in Education Recipient
The Murphy family established the distinguished professorship to support teaching, scholarship and engagement in the Watson College of Education. Read more >
Dean Dempsey Featured on First Episode of Education Matters
Watson College Dean Van Dempsey was a guest on the first episode of “Education Matters,” a weekly television program created by the Public School Forum of North Carolina. The show, which aired Oct. 2 on WRAL-TV, focused on the state’s teacher pipeline. WCE’s Watson Student Leaders helped Dean Dempsey gather student perspectives on the topic and word clouds were created to provide a visualization of student responses. Learn more >
UNCW AIG Conference "Serving the Whole Gifted Child" - April 21
Join us for the 2017 UNCW AIG Conference "Serving the Whole Gifted Child".
Highlights for 2017 include:
- Keynote address is by the National Association for Gifted Children President, Dr. George Betts.
- Tour the Randall Library Curriculum Materials Center’s Makerspace.
- Join David Marriott for a “How To” use Makerspace with gifted students.
- Katie Anderson and Christy Howe share “takeaways” for the classroom.
- WCE Receives Outstanding Reaccreditation Report
- UNCW earns Carnegie Community Engagement classification
- WCE Alumni Honored as Principals of the Year
- WCE Alumni Honored as NHCS Educators of the Year
- CESTEM's 1st Annual K-12 STEM Education Conference was a success. WECT and PortCityDaily.com covered the event.
- Featured on WHQR: Wilmington Math Teacher Implements Classcraft, An Educational Role-Playing Computer Game
- 'Stopping the School to Prison Pipeline' Event Draws Standing-Room-Only Crowd at UNCW
- Dr. Mahnaz Moallem serves as the lead PI on a $300,000 grant from the National Science Foundation.
- Two WCE Department of ITFSE Professors Receive Grants
- Dr. Candace Thompson: UNCW Convocation 2014 Keynote Speech
- UNCW's Watson College of Education Proposal Wins $50,000!
- N.C. teachers & parents see legislative changes as harmful, survey finds
- WCE Hosts Legislative Forum
- PDS University-School Partnership Agreement Signing
View photos of the ceremony > or Read the WECT article >
- WCE Alumni & Partnership Teachers Receive Awards
- CESTEM Gets the Grants!
- Students Graduate from the Youthbuild Program at UNCW
- Duplin County Pilots Self-Mentoring Program in District
- ELMS hosts "Response to Instruction and English Language Learners: National, State and Local Issues"
- Portrait Unveiling of Dr. Cathy Barlow