Recent News & Events
Third Annual Pre K-12 STEM Education Conference – January 6, 2017
Come join us for the 3rd Annual Pre K-12 STEM conference and engage with local and state STEM professionals as they share their expertise and offer successful and motivating strategies to engage children in the STEM fields! The event is sponsored by WCE’s CESTEM and the North Carolina Science, Mathematics and Technology Center. Register today!
November Edition of the Watson Chronicle
We are pleased to share with you the latest edition of the Watson Chronicle. We hope you enjoy reading about the many programs, events, achievements and outreach activities at our College and with our partners. We welcome your comments and feedback, and hope you'll join us in sharing the stories of the work of the Watson College with others. http://uncw.edu/newsletters/watson-chronicle/
Dean Dempsey Featured on First Episode of Education Matters
Watson College Dean Van Dempsey was a guest on the first episode of “Education Matters,” a weekly television program created by the Public School Forum of North Carolina. The show, which aired Oct. 2 on WRAL-TV, focused on the state’s teacher pipeline. WCE’s Watson Student Leaders helped Dean Dempsey gather student perspectives on the topic and word clouds were created to provide a visualization of student responses. Learn more >
UNCW AIG Conference "Serving the Whole Gifted Child" - April 21
Join us for the 2017 UNCW AIG Conference "Serving the Whole Gifted Child".
Highlights for 2017 include:
- Keynote address is by the National Association for Gifted Children President, Dr. George Betts.
- Tour the Randall Library Curriculum Materials Center’s Makerspace.
- Join David Marriott for a “How To” use Makerspace with gifted students.
- Katie Anderson and Christy Howe share “takeaways” for the classroom.
- WCE Receives Outstanding Reaccreditation Report
- UNCW earns Carnegie Community Engagement classification
- WCE Alumni Honored as Principals of the Year
- WCE Alumni Honored as NHCS Educators of the Year
- CESTEM's 1st Annual K-12 STEM Education Conference was a success. WECT and PortCityDaily.com covered the event.
- Featured on WHQR: Wilmington Math Teacher Implements Classcraft, An Educational Role-Playing Computer Game
- 'Stopping the School to Prison Pipeline' Event Draws Standing-Room-Only Crowd at UNCW
- Dr. Mahnaz Moallem serves as the lead PI on a $300,000 grant from the National Science Foundation.
- Two WCE Department of ITFSE Professors Receive Grants
- Dr. Candace Thompson: UNCW Convocation 2014 Keynote Speech
- UNCW's Watson College of Education Proposal Wins $50,000!
- N.C. teachers & parents see legislative changes as harmful, survey finds
- WCE Hosts Legislative Forum
- PDS University-School Partnership Agreement Signing
View photos of the ceremony > or Read the WECT article >
- WCE Alumni & Partnership Teachers Receive Awards
- CESTEM Gets the Grants!
- Students Graduate from the Youthbuild Program at UNCW
- Duplin County Pilots Self-Mentoring Program in District
- ELMS hosts "Response to Instruction and English Language Learners: National, State and Local Issues"
- Portrait Unveiling of Dr. Cathy Barlow