Online Admission Application
All students seeking licensure must be admitted into the Watson College of Education in order to take courses numbered above EDN/SED 303.
How to Apply:
The online admission application can be found on mySeaport.
- Click on the Academics tab
- Scroll to the bottom of the page
- Under the Watson College of Ed, select Program Admission Application
Watson College of Education Admission Deadlines:
- To be admitted at the end of the Fall semester - December 1st
- To be admitted at the end of the Spring semester - May 1st
- To be admitted at the end of the Summer semester - August 1st
Admission to all teacher education programs (Birth-12th grade) require:
- Completion of English Composition (Eng 100 or 101 and Eng 200 or 201, or Eng 103), one math, and one science laboratory course with a grade of “C-“ or better in each course.
- Completion of introductory educational foundations coursework, EDN 200 with a grade of "C-" or better. (This requirement does not apply to Secondary Education students.)
- Completion of forty-five or more college credit hours with a minimum overall grade point average of 2.70 on a 4.00 scale on work attempted at UNCW. Transfer students must earn a 2.70 on a minimum of 9 hours completed at UNCW.
- Passing scores on teacher education entry tests specified and mandated by the Board of Education of the State of North Carolina. (Praxis I scores> Math 173, Writing 173, Reading 176).
Secondary Education (Grades 9-12) Program Notes:
- Secondary Education Students may only begin the program in the fall semester. Plan to be admitted to the WCE in the spring or summer of the sophomore year and begin SEC coursework in the fall of the junior year.
- Transfer students in secondary education are allowed to take Block 1 courses as part of the “9 hours at UNCW” without being admitted to WCE. To be eligible to enroll in Block 2 courses, students should apply & have met all requirements to be accepted to WCE by the end of the fall semester (December 1).
Checklist for Admission
- I have passed all parts of the required Praxis I, or have SAT scores of 1100+ or ACT scores of 24+
- I have submitted test scores to the Watson College of Education at UNCW
- I will have a GPA of at least 2.7 at the time of application
- I have taken the requisite courses as indicated
- I have submitted an application (which includes all materials) by the deadline
- I have completed the background questions and provided court documents as necessary
Please consult your academic advisor and the Academic Advising web page of FAQ.
For University (UNCW) Admissions materials contact:
Admissions Office, UNCW
601 South College Road
Wilmington, NC 28403-3297