Here you can find reading lists for the past five years, along with a sample exam from a previous year.
These are the readings for the current exam. Remember that you MUST purchase the precise edition given here. These are the only books you will be allowed to bring with you on the day of the exam.
Graduate School Forms
Forms for international students, certification, registration and requests for travel and other activities.
The link here will open a pdf form to apply for a Graduate/Independent Study opportunity.
Graduation Information for graduate students
Find out details of applying to graduate, along with a checklist and dates and deadlines.
The following are the two forms graduate students should look over if they are looking to be reimbursed for travel.
Reading List: 2007-08
- Johnson-Eiola, Johndan. Datacloud: Toward a New Theory of Online Work. Hampton Press, 2005
- Huggan, Graham. The Postcolonial Exotic: Marketing the Margins: London, Routledge 041525034X
- Backscheider, Paula. Reflections on Biography. New York: Oxford UP, 2001. 0198299958
- Ratcliffe, Krista. Rhetorical Listening: Identification, Gender, Whiteness. Carbondale, IL.: Southern Illinois University Press. 0809326698
- Plato. Gorgias. Trans. Robin Waterfield. Oxford: Oxford UP, 1998.
ISBN: 0192836307Ghosh, Amitav. The Hungry Tide. NY: Mariner, 2006. 061871166X
- Ghosh, Amitav. The Hungry Tide. NY: Mariner, 2006. 061871166X
- Pinter, Harold. The Caretaker and The Dumb Waiter. Grove Press. 080215087X
- Greenblatt, Stephen. Will in the World. NY: Norton, 2005. 039332737X
- Alcott, Louisa. Little Women. Ed. Anne K. Phillips & Gregory Eiselein. Norton Critical Ed. W.W. Norton. 0393967149
- Milton, John. Paradise Lost. Ed. David Scott Kastan. Indianapolis/Cambridge: Hackett Publishing Co., Inc., 2005. 0872207331
- Bronte, Charlotte. Jane Eyre. An Authoritative Text, Backgrounds, Criticism. Ed. Richard J. Dunn. 3rd Ed. Norton Critical Ed. W.W. Norton 0393975428
- Anderson, Sherwood. Winesburg, Ohio: Authoritative Text, Backgrounds and Contexts (Norton Critical Edition). W.W. Norton. 0393967956
We encourage you to discuss these books with your professors and to organize discussion groups with other M.A. students.