Spring 2013 Schedule
January 22 - Kevin Maurer, Best selling co-author of "No Easy Day" the definitive account of the Osama bin Laden raid.
February 5 - Dr. Todd Berliner, UNCW Scholar
February 26 - Exam 1
March 5 - Spring Break
March 12 - Blaise J. Noto, With a career spanning 35 years, Noto is one of Hollywood's top marketing and publicity people.
March 19 - Nick Basta, documentary producer, "Bell Rung"
April 2 - Exam 2
April 16 -
April 23 - Alan Jacobs, independant film/video Producer and Editor
May 2 - FINAL EXAM
Moviemakers and Scholars Series
The Moviemakers and Scholars class, FST 210, is now offered as part of the basic studies fine arts curriculum at UNCW. The class is held in the Fisher Center's Lumina Theater (FSC 1006) from 1:00 - 3:45 p.m. each Tuesday for the Spring 2013 semester. Please see the schedule on this page for a list of speakers and exam dates.
Past Movie Makers and Scholars guest speakers include:
- Jim Taylor, Oscar winning screenwriter of Sideways
- David Bordwell, film scholar, author of Film Art
- Frederick Wiseman, documentary filmmaker: Titticut Follies, High School
- Jerry Ziesmer, assistant director: Apocalypse Now, Jerry Maquire
- Pat Hingle, actor: On the Waterfront, Talladega Nights
- Tom Priestly Jr., ASC, cinematographer: The Thomas Crown Affair
- Bob Mondello, NPR Public Radio film commentator and critic
- Greg Prange, producer and director: One Tree Hill, Dawson’s Creek
- David Andrews, actor: Fight Club, Apollo 13
- Alonzo Wilson, costume designer: The Wire
- Bill Davis, art director: One Tree Hill, Dawson’s Creek
- Mark Fincannon, casting director, location casting: The Blind Side
- Judith Helfand, documentary director: Blue Vinyl
- Erica Dunton, director: To.get.her, The 27 Club, Red Means Go
- Ira Sachs, director and screenwriter: 40 Shades of Blue
- Patrick Stettner: screenwriter and director: The Business of Strangers
- Lamont Johnson, director: The Execution of Private Slovik
- Peter Jurasik, actor: Babylon 5, NYPD Blue, Tron
- Richard Leder, screenwriter: Ambers Story, The Bad Son
- David Gatten, experimental filmmaker, Secret History of the Dividing Line, A True Account in Nine Parts
- Naomi Uman, experimental filmmaker, Removed, Leche
Wilmington Film Industry Professionals including: assistant director Barbara D’Alessandro, cinematographer Joe D’Alessandro, stunt coordinator John Copeman, art director Bill Davis, Wilmington regional film commissioner Johnny Griffin, production designer John Kretschmer, director and camera operator Bo Webb, first assistant camera Dan Turek, and Cucalorus Film Festival director Dan Brawley.